Logo

Johnson Outboard

48tony

Regular Contributor
"I am a newbie on this site.

"I am a newbie on this site. I hope one of you OMC, old school cats, can give me some feedback. My local mariners are booksmart, but don't seem to have "hands-on" knowledge.
I have a 1970 60 HP ESLD Johnson. The lower unit is electric shift and is trashed. I purchased a 1969 55 HP ESL off E-bay for short money.
The mariner states that there is two part #'s on the units. Some say it will fit for sure and then I get "I'm not sure if it will fit". What is the case here? Will it fit or not. Both electric shifts and both three cylinders.

My second question: Two replace the lower gearcase seals with a sealkit, to what extent of specialty tools will I need, and I've looked to find the lower unit sealkit and don't seem to have any luck.

If there is anyone out there that can give me some detailed feedback on the process of servicing this unit with the sealkit, please post me an answer.

Thanks,

Tony"

"I have 925A,770CCA Battery. M

"I have 925A,770CCA Battery. My question is will my batterty burn out my starter?"

"NO It does not matter how big

"NO It does not matter how big your battery is
It will not burn out your starter.

As long as it is the same voltage as the starter, ie 12v the motor will pull the amperage it needs.
It all set out in ohm's law.
IF it is too small it will turn slowly as it can not pull the amperage.

IF the motor burnt out the motor was faulty, or you ran it far too long."

shop.evinrude.com has all the

shop.evinrude.com has all the parts books viewable online back to 1968 so you can compare numbers between your two units

"One thing you could Check is

"One thing you could Check is your cables and Solenoid .

Voltage Drop Measurement
Start by using a good digital auto-ranging voltmeter capable of reading 1/10th of a volt. The use of an auto-ranging
meter will allow for more accurate testing without damaging the meter due to an incorrect range setting.
Remove the spark plug wires form the spark plugs and connect them to a spark gap tester and remove the emergency
stop clip as well. This prevents the engine from starting and also reduces the chance of gettting shocked by the
ignition system.
The use of an ohmmeter to test a conductor or switch contact for their condition is not the best tool to use. In most
cases, it is preferable to use a volt drop test to make sure the conductor, as well as the connection, is in good
condition.
Before testing, remove and clean all battery cables and connection points.
Testing the Positive Battery Cable to the Engine
1. Select the DC Volts position on the meter.
2. Connect the Red (Positive) lead on the meter to the positive battery POST.
3. Connect the Black (Negative) lead on the meter to the starter solenoid terminal where the positive battery cable
is connected.
4. Using a remote start switch, activate the starter solenoid to spin the engine and observe the reading on the
meter. A reading above 0.6V indicates a bad cable or bad connection.
(a) If the meter reads above 0.6V, move the Black lead on the meter to the positive battery cable terminal on
the starter solenoid and retest. If the reading drops to below 0.6V, the cable connection is bad.
(b) If the meter still reads above 0.6V, move the Black lead on the meter to the positive battery cable terminal
on the battery and retest. If the reading drops to below 0.6V, the cable is bad or undersized.
Service Note: A bad power connection to the ignition or battery charging system can be found by connecting the
Black lead on the meter to the power connection of the ignition system or charging system; then working your way
back to the battery positive post. At no time should you see a reading above 1V.
Testing the Negative Battery Cable to the Engine
1. Select the DC Volts position on the meter.
2. Connect the Black (Negative) lead on the meter to the negative battery POST.
3. Connect the Red (Positive) lead on the meter to the engine block where the negative battery cable is connected.
4. Using a remote start switch, activate the starter solenoid to spin the engine and observe the reading on the
meter. A reading above 0.6V is an indicator of a bad cable or bad connection.
(a) If the meter reads above 0.6V, move the Red lead on the meter to the negative battery cable terminal on the
engine block and retest. If the reading drops to below 0.6V, the cable connection is bad.
(b) If the meter still reads above 0.6V, move the Red lead on the meter to the negative battery cable terminal
on the battery and retest. If the reading drops to below 0.6V, the cable is bad or undersized.
A bad ground connection to the ignition and battery charging system can be found by connecting the Red lead on the
meter to the ground connection of the ignition or battery charging system; then working your way back to the battery
negative post. At no time should you see a reading above 1V."

Back