Logo

1992 Mariner 150 hp Elec Probs

al2ride

"It’s been a great running motor but something finally went wrong. It started running rough at full throttle to the point that I couldn’t run it in full throttle. I had to get to the ramp a little over idle while motor running very rough. I took a look when I got home and both regulators were burnt to the point that the plastic coating melted out of them. I went through the process of checking out the stator and switches and they seemed to be okay. I ordered both regulators but the problem remains. It appears as if the battery is not getting any power and I’m assuming the stator is not providing enough juice. Not having enough money to take it somewhere I’m going to have to try and repair it myself. I’m a gearhead but not used to outboards. Any ideas of where to go from here besides getting a new stator (trigger, switches, coils). Thanks in advance."

"Al, although you didn't &

"Al, although you didn't "see" anything wrong it is most likely a stator problem that took out the regulators in the first place.

It (sounds) like the charge coils (bobbins) went wild and took out the regulators and in the process may have taken out one or two of the high speed bobbins (which would account for the crappy high end).

However, best to be sure before swapping parts. Get it into any shop equipped with a DVA tester and have the numbers checked..."

Back