Logo

OMC 3 cylinder loopersHelp

ktroll98

"I'm brand new to this for

"I'm brand new to this forum, so howdy.I'm think'in of go'in retro with my '75 whaler 17' Newport.The three cylinder loopers were a great match for it.before I dump cash into one (early '70s-early '80s)I'd like to bone up on 'em.I see they made two gear case sizes for each 60'65'70'75hp.Is this a hornet nest or do parts cross over a lot?Is one version better than the other?Thanks for any info you might think helpful!p.s. I am a do-it-yourself'er"

"excellent eng,.....go for the

"excellent eng,.....go for the 80's r ltr...if poss,..but they have aways,been one of my fav...excellent pwr to weight,ratio..."

"I'm not sure about the se

"I'm not sure about the second gearcase size, but at least one of them takes the V4 13 spline props. These can be easier to find than some other props.

Like JWB says, great engine. They seem to like to spin. I'd prop to the top of the recommended range."

"I know that my '72 65hp R

"I know that my '72 65hp Rude has been a DREAM to work on! Parts are still out there and can be had, but like many other "retro" rides it's becoming harder to find. I happened to come accrossed an entire parts motor that has one cylinder dead on it for $100.......

I don't think there is a nicer engine to use for this time period.....

There are MANY different choices for props as well in a good price range!"

"looking at a 'rude 70 hp

"looking at a 'rude 70 hp #E70ELCNB.He thinks it's an '82.bad rod but i'm going to rebuild anyway.Has T&T,SST prop,controls,very clean.asking $400.seems o.k. any advise?"

"Thanks,what shop manuel shoul

"Thanks,what shop manuel should is best for these motors.Thinking it would help with which motors will cross over ,parts wise.and of course for fix'in 'em"

Back