Logo

225 impeller bad or water ports plugged

cedarbrake1

"I unknowingly wrapped up the

"I unknowingly wrapped up the lower unit w/ weeds a couple of trips ago and after getting on plane within a couple of minutes the engine overheated and shut down. After clearing weeds, it started right up and ran fine 10-15 minutes back to dock.
Since then the pee stream has slowly decreased each trip (2) and on the last trip finally went to a trickle. Fished close to ramp all day but it never overheated in the few short WOT runs.

Before tearing into it, do you guys think it could just be a plugged water port or do you think I fried the impeller when it overheated?

Not overheating since then causes me to wonder.
Any ideas or quick checks?
Thanks"

I would bet the ports plugged

I would bet the ports plugged with a bit of wood
or plastic. disconnect the pee tube from the outlet fitting and fish a thin piece of wire
into the tube. Once get it into the block feed in as much wire in as you can.
This usually will dislodge the junk.
If your impellor was cooked you would not be able to run the motor without an overheat alarm
sounding quickly.

Install a water pressure gauge

Install a water pressure gauge so you can tell in the future if you suck up anything or if your pump is on the way out. A 50 to 75$ piece that can save you thousands.

Rollie - Great idea. Where wou

Rollie - Great idea. Where would be the best place to install the water pressure gauge?

"Mine is tapped into the top o

"Mine is tapped into the top of the head (there is a plug on the top of each head) on my Yami 200 2 stroke. You may have to drill and tap into somewhere in the water jacket if your engine doesn't have a plug that can be removed and a fitting reinstalled. Mine has saved me from overheating several times, got it shut down before the alarm went off."

Rollie - excellent. I'll t

Rollie - excellent. I'll take a look as soon as I get the boat back. It's in the shop for a 400 hour maintenance while I'm beach fishing at Hatteras.

There is a water pressure acce

There is a water pressure access plug located above the starboard exhaust manifold. Use a 5 mm hex wrench to remove.

It takes a 1/8" BSPT with barb fitting.

The water tube is routed down through the grommet membrane. There is a covered opening that you have to open with a 7/32" drill bit.

Good luck!

Mike - thanks. Will likely com

Mike - thanks. Will likely come back to you once I get out the old shop manual and go to work on this.

"Thanks for the tips, especial

"Thanks for the tips, especially the water pressure gauge. If I understand, installing one now would tell me for sure whether it is the impeller or plugged ports, good pressure-plugged; low pressure-impeller, correct? Do Hondas have a pressure range or optimum pressure?

Thanks again for the help."

The gauge won't tell you w

The gauge won't tell you with all certainty if its plugged or impeller. That would depend on where a blockage occurs..before or after the gauge fitting. It will however tell you that something is wrong before you get the engine hot and do major damage. Mine runs at about 5psi at idle and 20 psi once on plane. I know any variation means shut it down and look at the leg for debris. You'll have to get yours cleared and pumping correctly then observe your psi readings.

"Rollie is absolutely right. A

"Rollie is absolutely right. A gauge can only tell you when something isn't "normal". You first have to know what "normal" is for your particular set-up.

I pull impellers out all the time that have a good tell tale or "piss" stream and they are missing entire arms or parts of arms.

The advantage of having a gauge is that it would let you know when you have lost a bit of efficiency at the pump due to a damaged impeller or a partial intake blockage but still observe a stream.

Ironically, you could have an almost complete blockage downstream from your gauge (impeller pieces) and the pressure would actually go UP. But, you would recognize that as being "not normal" and investigate.

Bottom line-pressure gauges are good when properly interpreted.

On these open, unpressurized sytems though, a flowmeter would be a better indicator of system performance."

"my 2002 honda 225 has had sim

"my 2002 honda 225 has had simlar problem below are somethings that I have found :

1. took small peice of wire leader pushed up thru pee ho;e, I still find little bits of shell in there periocally when flow changes. ONE WORD of ADVICE be carefull not to push to stiff of wire thru pee hole might push wire thru hose !!!

2. After boat set for a long period , went to use boat had water flow problem. dropped lower unit found impellar dryed out rubber broke apart.
reccomend once a year to take time and inspect impellar.

those checks should more then likely help big time please let us know what end results find,

good luck"

"Here is a short update...I br

"Here is a short update...I brought the boat home to do more checking/repair and first item was to hook up the built in flush. I get water from all the places I expect, pee stream, hub, weep holes.

Then I put the muffs on and start the motor, no water from anywhere except what runs out around the muffs. Only ran it at idle for a minute or so.

Does this point to a bad impeller even more? I have the impeller kit now and as soon as the weather warms will be pulling the lower unit. Will post a followup with results."

"My honda's don't acce

"My honda's don't accept water muffs well either went thru round ones,then tried square ones to no avail. Seemed that if I turned down pressure on hose nozle helped , also had one person hold pressure on each side of ear muffs while I ran motors . This worked but of course person holding muffs get a little wet
, Best pratice for me was to go back to way I used to as kid large trash can with running hose in it."

"I never liked the muffs and I

"I never liked the muffs and I don't use them in my business as I feel they don't give me a true sense of what the cooling flow is doing after a repair.

I did rig up a test tank (glorified trash can) with a bottom drain and a ball valve and a slot for a garden hose to hang in to supply fresh water as I run the engine to prevent overheat.

On the other side from that hose is what I call an "upper drain" that allows water to escape the tank as it overfills due to the supply hose constantly running. I have hoses hooked to both of the drains and they direct the water away from my work area so that the only time I get wet is usually when I put the motor in gear. Which, by the way, the trash can lets me do safely.

Now I want to make some sort of jack mechanism so that I can raise it and lower it for the different engines I work on.
DOWN WITH MUFFS!"

Back