Logo

Carb question

dj5229

I have a 1994 Merc 5.7 with a

I have a 1994 Merc 5.7 with a 4 barrel rochester carb...serial number 9661s 2993...looks just like an edelbrock 4 barrel. I have a mechanical choke on the carb. is there a way to upgrade my carb to an electric choke? if so how do I wire the electric choke?

Strange. Just replace it w/an

Strange. Just replace it w/an elec. choke. Add a ground wire to a choke adjustment screw and tap into a purple wire that has 12 vdc w/ ignition in run position.

Thought 92' or 93' was

Thought 92' or 93' was when they had electric chokes on mercs.

Why you want to change over? Rough idle when warming up till the choke opens is normal even with electric choke.

"Dan, the one nice thing about

"Dan, the one nice thing about a good working mechanical Helix type choke is that it gathers real heat readings from the intake manifold.
If you can repair or replace the parts, it should work well.

An electric choke will start to gather a heat reading the minute that the circuit is energized..... whether the engine fires up or not!

Don't get me wrong.... the electric heating element type work fine!

."

"I personally prefer the engin

"I personally prefer the engine heated choke vs the electric becuase of the reason Ricardo mentioned, if you leave the key on, the chokes on. But then the only thing on a boat the key should be used for is running the engine and giving juice to some of the gauges. not lights, depth, radios, etc.."

"[b]"What you have is a WE

""What you have is a WEBER carb,"

Ayuh,... That's what I'm thinking,...
The Merc./ Weber/ Edlebrock/ Carter AFB Clones...

"is there a way to upgrade my carb to an electric choke? if so how do I wire the electric choke?"

as noted above, I wouldn't either,..
but,...
Edlebrock I believe sells an electric 1,+ if so, it gets wired to the Igntion circuit..."

"I agree, with Brian and Ricar

"I agree, with Brian and Ricardo i prefer the engine heated choke. The electric one take longer and the motor runs rougher longer."

"It is a Weber...merc and the

"It is a Weber...merc and the other OEMs couldn't get anything from Rochester, carbwise, after 1991. When they (GM-RPD) pulled the plug, it was across the board (new units and service parts) and with short notice.

Rochesters (quadrajets) don't look like Edelbrocks (performer 14xx types) unless they are the qjet reproductions they made for a few years after Rochester stopped making carbs."

Back