Logo

3 cyl merc How do i figure the serial # if the identity plate is gone

demob

"I recently "inherited&#34

"I recently "inherited" a late 80's (i think) 3 cyl Merc that has been customized by removing all it's identifying features ie , graphics removed, identity plate removed, goofy paint job. What I have found is: by the spark plugs 1025a8363, 78529 on the side of the block; 9615887 on the crank case between the carbs; and 1593-7511-02 on the upper part of the lower end. Any way of identifying this thing? Thanks!"

"And if you can find the carb

"And if you can find the carb casting numbers we can peg it right down.

You are looking for a "WM - something" followed by a number or two.

Merc has built 75/90 40/50/60 and 30/40 horse models in 3 cylinders in the past 20 (maybe 30 years now - time is flying), as well as a 70 and 80 horse (just a little more rare)...."

"Okay. That's one of thos

"Okay. That's one of those infamous Merc triples of which it has been written:

"...a boney, trailer trash trollop in a cheap dress that never fit right; foul of mouth, swilling cheap muscatel out of a paper bag behind the liquor store. She would put a knife to your throat in a heartbeat. A disgrace to the Mercury name."

That said, I still like them.

Question: Does your motor have a belt-driven distributor? If so, that makes it a '75 or older. The 76 and up used distributor-less ignition system with 3 coils.

Jeff"

"Well that's just brutal.

"Well that's just brutal.
But no, no dist., just the three coils. and I can't find any #s on the carbs... Where do I look?"

"By the way, I found some old

"By the way, I found some old pictures of it...Does that help?
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"">Merc pics.
[url=""][b]merc outboard.docx[/b][/url] (31.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

That's a late model 70 hp.

That's a late model 70 hp.

So how does it run? I assume you barrel tested it by now?

Jeff

Back