Logo

Changing exaust bellows on 120 Mercruiser Part 2

kat

"A few weeks ago I was success

"A few weeks ago I was successful with the use a common brake tool and plenty of soapy water and friend(Jack) with small hands to connect a new rubber exaust bellows to the rear motor nozzle and clamp it.
Yesterday we tried to attach the other end of the exaust bellows to the lower unit side nozzle that send the exaust gases thru the prop.
I thought it would be easy, but even though we heated the bellows with a hair dryer and greased the end with soapy water, we could not stretch it and attach the bellows to the lower unit nozzle at the same time.

I was wondering if any of the forum members could share some tips or techniques for us that will help. thank you... all ideas will be appreciated."

Dave

changed mine last yea

Dave

changed mine last year. the out drive needs to be removed so you have access to the exhaust. I then took a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 flat steel and bent a 1/2 inch lip on one end. then rounded the points so as not to puncture the bellows. you can then reach in and pull the bellows on. make sure you have the clamp on the bellows. I then was able to take a 1/4 inch extension and socket and tighten up the clamp. make sure you also use the glue or it will come loose no mater how tight you get the clamp ( I know I found out the hard way ).

good luck.........

Back