Logo

Questions on gearcase redesign for BF50 models

normo

"I'm looking at a used 200

"I'm looking at a used 2003 BF50. Checking forums alerted me to a fairly widespread problem, particularly with saltwater use, wherein corrosion in the area of the gearcase carrier retaining nut can cause the gearcase to develop small cracks and eventually fail. The motor I am looking at lost a big piece of the lower unit. The owner replaced it ($1200)in Jan 09 with what he was told was the "new" design. I decided to check and see if this was in fact the new design. Looks like he was sold the original design instead.

Talked to a factory Honda mechanic and was told that the new gearcase was a robust two piece design that can easily be identified by the two bolts which join the two parts. The heads of the bolts are prominant and they are located next to the prop hub at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. He wasn't sure whether it was compatible with older motors.

The mechanic also said that owners of motors with the original design can greatly reduce the likelihood of this problem by removing the retaining nut every year or two, chasing the threads with the special removal tool and then coating the threads with an anti-corrosion grease.

Would someone please provide or confirm 1)the p/n and 2 bolt description above for the gearcase redesign that addresses this problem, 2) what earlier BF50 models this part fits and 3) when this redesign became available for retrofit.

thanks"

Back