Logo

1980 470 exhaust question

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"Was checking out a replacemen

"Was checking out a replacement manifold for my 1980 470 merc. motor. Found one that is a aluminum replacement. Only problem is, you have to buy a different riser. My old riser has a 90 degree bend in it, and the aluminum one has like a 50 degree bend to it. Was wondering if my old exhaust bellow will match up, or do they make one for this configuration? Also what kind of weight difference is there between the two?"

"Sounds like an aftermarket pa

"Sounds like an aftermarket part - you'll have to check with the part's source to see what is required to complete the install. Based on your description, the "fit" is highly unlikely to be seaworthy without another part or two (bellows/boot/clamp/etc).

As far as the weight savings - excluding any additional parts - should be measurable if you are replacing cast iron with alum. As to it making a significant improvement to your speed, don't set your expectation too high."

"Hey Ed, maybe you could try t

"Hey Ed, maybe you could try the forum called breezeworks 470 talk. I guarantee someone will give the specific answer for your needs. It sounds like you have a later exaust riser setup for like the 3.7 or 3.7lx because my engine has a 45-50 degree bend and it is a 1988 3.7lx 180hp. I am not familiar with the inner bellows tube on the pre alpha gimble setup. If that is what you have? In other words I am not sure if the 3.7 exaust setup is compatible with the pre alpha gimble. There was a 3.7 exaust system for sale on ebay motors under mercruiser 470. It might serve your needs as long as the inner exaust bellows tube will accept the newer exaust setup. best wishes,Tom"

"thanks for all the info guys.

"thanks for all the info guys. After i researched it a little more, it looks like i will need a newer style exhaust elbow, which i already replaced new.(saw your post on breezeworks Tom, thanks) Would save some weight, but for the money they want, not worth it to me. Thanks again."

"No problem Ed, I figure by th

"No problem Ed, I figure by this point in time you pretty much figured out what you have to do! I would go the easiest route and try and keep it the same as before. (keep it simple) And you are right about the money part of it. Nothing cheap about boat parts! best of luck, Tom"

Back