Logo

Adjusting the shifting cable

rick50

Installed a rebuilt lower unit

Installed a rebuilt lower unit on a 1995 125 mariner outboard. Now when I shift to reverse and put back in neutral its like I shift it too far and the gears are grinding. Some one said I need to adjust the cable.How exactly do I do this? Also the shift cable has about a 1/2 " play in it before it moves the shifter is this normal? Tried to upload picture but the size is to big.

"Not sure how the newer ones a

"Not sure how the newer ones are made, but with the older Mercs you'd have the shifter rod in the wrong orientation.

Jeff"

"(Shifter rod) Are you

"(Shifter rod) Are you talking about the female piece that is on the lower unit, that matches up with the shaft coming down from the power head?"

Rick you need to adjust the tr

Rick you need to adjust the trunion (the platic bit that turns) So leave the cable end attached and ensure the shift lever is in neutral. You noticed there is some lost motion in the gear change cable this is normal...you pull the cable and see where the trunion is in relation to where it secures then push the cable and check where it is in relation to where it secures.

The trunion should be in the middle of the lost motion and push straight into where it locates

"..."Are you talking about

"..."Are you talking about the female piece that is on the lower unit, that matches up with the shaft coming down from the power head?"

Yes. (Wasn't sure of the design used on yours.) If that connection isn't aligned right when you stuff the LU back up, it causes all kinds of shifting problems. I suggest you put both the controls and the LU in neutral, then stuff it up there. That seems to work better. You might need someone turn the flywheel so the drive shaft goes in easier.

Jeff"

"Thanks fastjeff I will try th

"Thanks fastjeff I will try that in the morning....

jamie I don t think my shifter has a trunion on it, all I have are the little barrel screws, I think, and a plastic piece that the shifter cable threads go through that holds the shifter and the throttle cable to the motor.

I guess when you say trunion you are talking about a round piece that you can move by fingers?"

Don't mess with the shifte

Don't mess with the shifter cables until you get the rest straightened out or you'll have to...You know.

Jeff

Usually if the male and female

Usually if the male and female shift shaft splines are one tooth out you get FWD and neutral only or Rev and neutral only.

Check it by removing the shift cable and using your hand push the slide into fwd and turn the prop it will ratchet one way and when you push it into rev the prop wont turn. See if you have both gears.

Back