Logo

1967 MC1 Lower gear box

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"Hey yall,
I have the lo

"Hey yall,
I have the lower gear house apart. I have new bearings, seals and gears. I am preparing the housing and getting ready to assemble. I have a question about the thrust ring that fits between the bearing carrier and the reverse gear. The ring I removed is slightly curved. Is this normal or do I need to repalce this item? A thrust ring replacement did not come in any of the rebuild kits. There is also the concern about wear being that it is a thrust ring. Other than the curved shape the ring does not appear to be worn and mic's out even across the board.
thumbs_up.gif

On another note to follow up. We discussed in the last few months how to tell if the unit was MC-1. There was something posted about the driven shaft lower bearing having x number of needles in the bearing. The one removed had 14 as does the replacement. FYI
Regards,
TxGalz Dah"

Refresh my memory

What mod

Refresh my memory

What model outdrive do you have?

1 II III i R mr ???

Need to now specifically and a serial number would be best.......

what your calling a thrust rin

what your calling a thrust ring is for crushing the O ring to make the seal for the carrier housing.nothing to do with the gears themselves

"1967 MC-1, 2072674, connected

"1967 MC-1, 2072674, connected to 120 2.5L 4cyl.
Yes, the 0ring sets on the end lip of the bearing carrier, the end of the carrier sets against the ring and the ring sets against the housing. The ring is held in place between the reverse gear and reverse gear bearing. The reverse bearing assembly is pressed into the bearing carrier housing.
All that makes since to me but since the manual called it a "thrust ring" I am a little confused and need some clarification that my manuals don't provide. That would be you good folks.
Regards,
TxGalz Dah"

Back