Logo

471 Blowing Oil

uncle_grumpy

"Hi,

I need some help to di

"Hi,

I need some help to diagnose a problem with an old GM471 I recently inherited.

It blows a lot of oil and fumes from the main pipe that comes from the governor. It also has a oil leak from the front left corner of where the head and block meet, which became a water leak after I cleaned the small vent pipes.

It doesn't appear to have much air pressure leaving from the dipstick or appear to be burning oil.

Is it the blower seals / head gasket / freeze plugs or a combination?

I also wanted to know if a replacement starter solenoid switch are available. This model has the separate solenoid that is operated by a foot pedal.

Thanks"

"Thank for your replies. Can t

"Thank for your replies. Can the condition of the bores be checked by opening the covers on the opposite side of the blower?

Because there wasn't fumes coming from the dipstick I didn't consider blow-by gas.

Where do you recommend an in-frame kit should be purchased from?

Airsep Doctor, I looked at the product and it appears to be a much improved pcv valve found on motor cars. What do they cost?"

"Peter,

Blow-by gases or fu

"Peter,

Blow-by gases or fumes are usually emitted from a crankcase breather. These are sometimes located on a bell housing, valve cover...or near the governor like you describe.

The AIRSEP is much more than just a PCV valve. The system gives you three features in one compact unit mounted on the air intake. It offers a ccv system that takes the fumes, liquefies the oil vapor and returns it to the oil pan. It includes a washable high quality air filter,and the unit is designed to reduce crankcase pressure to help eliminate oil leaks. Some models also include an intake silencer to help reduce intake noise. The complete systems vary in price but generally are about $700-800. These kits have been fitted on many engines as standard equipment as well as similar kits on US Coast Guard vessels with 6V53 engines."

"Sounds like head compression

"Sounds like head compression seal gaskets are burnt making base pressure or a cracked head.Check cylinder liners for cross hatch marks or piston for broken rings by opening inspection cover plates.(covers oposite of blower)if cylinder liners are good swap head but,if not inframe overhaul."

Back