Logo

A NEW DRIP

martino1

Regular Contributor
"Well, maybe this is the time

"Well, maybe this is the time it goes to the bottom of the sea. Got everything else squared away for the moment, and now I notice a fairly good stream of water coming straight down from the powerhead, in the area of the shift rod/ steering arm, behind the carburetors. On the muffs, it only leaks there when running. Does not appear to be anything under the cover leaking. Would this be the powerhead mounting gasket causing this?"

"Me again....
Martin, this is

"Me again....
Martin, this is the 1990 225 SeaDrive, right?
You have a fairly elaborate water valving system on the starboard side of the engine. It is throttle controlled, and is part of the cooling system. Look for leaks there that may be flowing down to the area you describe.

I don't think the powerhead gasket will leak water in the area you describe, especially the amount of water you state as a "fairly good stream".

Alternately, maybe there is a water pressure hose for a water pressure gauge up front that is just cut, loose and flowing water when the engine is running."

"Sorry. Yes, it is the 3.0 li

"Sorry. Yes, it is the 3.0 liter 1990 SeaDrive. Praying that you are right. I think I will remove the starboard side bottom pan, because I can't see any problem as is. Thanks for the assistance."

"Pulled right lower pan. Wate

"Pulled right lower pan. Water is coming from below the powerhead, from the opening where the top engine mount is. Also, when on the muffs it doesn't come out, only when running and the thermostats open. I have to figure mounting plate or gasket issue. Going to get right on this. Maybe a year from now."

"Doug, help me out here. I&#3

"Doug, help me out here. I'm thinking a quarter stick of dynamite. Do you think that is enough, or will I need to go with a 1/2 stick? The only good news is that the powerhead was supposedly rebuilt a few years back, so the bolts are not frozen. Can't wait to see what the repair moron 1/2-a$$ed during the rebuild that is causing the leak."

"Go with half a stick so you w

"Go with half a stick so you wont be dissapointed anymore
lol.gif
"

"Of course, it is now running

"Of course, it is now running better than it ever has. Except for the leak, it would be perfect."

"Martin it may look a bit daun

"Martin it may look a bit daunting but they arnt to bad to work on. You will need smething to lift the engine off with?

I have in the past removed the lower pans,shift shaft conector and just unbolted the powerhead and lifted it up without disconecting much else to view a problem and rectify it quickly.

I would say its a base gasket or at worse the adaptor plate is corroded.

Good luck and give it a go"

"Of course, the boat is on a l

"Of course, the boat is on a lift. I figured it out though. I have access to a jetski lift that mounts on a single piling. Should lift it safely and easily, and I can swing it onto the dock if necessary. I think it would be perfect for this job. In the mean time, it can drip for another year until I get around to it!"

"Martin , I had the same probl

"Martin , I had the same problem on a 1990 evinrude 200. My first thought was i'll get to it when i pull the boat out for the winter. Well it didn't make it, as the salt water ate my lower crank head and splines. That $25 dollar gasket cost me a powerhead tear down and crank. I did the work in the yard, so dont let that leak go to long."

Just what I didn't want to

Just what I didn't want to hear. Any idea how long yours was leaking before it caused all that damage?

"Martin, I'm not really su

"Martin, I'm not really sure how long it was leaking until i noticed the leak at the dock. Three weeks later, I started my motors , engaged them to leave the dock . The port seemed to idle a little high,then i noticed the prop wasn't spinning , nor was there any foward or reverse gear and no water coming from the tell-tell hose. I pulled the boat , dropped the foot and everything was good on the lower unit. I took a strong light to look up to the crank ,thats when i found salt water had eaten the end and there were no splines left to engage the lower unit.I already had a crank from my previous set of motors, so i had it polished ,installed new bearings , seals , rings and was back at the dock in 3days."

"Mine just started leaking. I

"Mine just started leaking. It all looked fine when I re-installed the LU a few weeks ago. I'm going to run it until I find a new mid-section. (this same engine had severely corroded lower mounts, the starboard one actually busted out part of the pocket that it mounts into.)"

"Martin , whats your shaft len

"Martin , whats your shaft length ? there is a set of sea drives sitting in a yard by a shed 2 miles from me . I can check on the HP. & shaft length and send you a few pics if you want."

"The set of sea drives are loc

"The set of sea drives are located on John's Island S.C ( Charleston ) My duty day is tomorrow at the fire station , i can stop by the day after christmas and check them out. what city are you located in ? P.M. me your e-mail address and i'll take a few camera phone pics and shoot them to you."

Back