Logo

1989 Four Winds Vista 245 twin 43L

stewsbs

Contributing Member
My question is the engine I st

My question is the engine I still have in the boat according to the serial# it is right hand rotation prop does this mean that the ehgine is determining the prop rotation I thought it was the drive is it maked as right hand because it is the right side engine do I need to look for only a left hand rotation engine to replace missing engine or is it the drive that I just need to match up?

All sterdrive engines are left

All sterdrive engines are left hand rotation it's the drive that is right or left.

way back when there were some

way back when there were some right hand rotation motors. When they all went left handed i don't know.

What i THINK confuses alot of people is that the front of the motor is the fly wheel side not the pulley side.

"Ayuh,... Merc hasn't use

"Ayuh,... Merc hasn't used a righthanded motor since the invention of Dirt...."

"The way to tell is pull the d

"The way to tell is pull the distributor cap off and crank the engine over, watch the rotor. what direction does it spin.

If it spins counterclock wise then it is left hand rotation engine! if it does not it is right hand rotation."

"I think that both engines bei

"I think that both engines being that they are 4.3 liter marine engines would turn counter clockwise (looking at flywheel from rear of engine). That being said, the starboard drive propeller should turn right hand rotation or clockwise(this is called standard rotation). The prop on the port side should turn counterclockwise but may not be setup with a left hand rotating drive. Yes it is possible to change prop rotation but you have to be running both of the drives menioned above. I was on a site awhile back and they were selling right hand rotating props for standard drives and left hand rotating props for counter-rotating drives for the cobra. So, yes you can change prop rotation by using the proper and or correct rotating drive. Your engines should both spin the same direction but the specific drives if correct should spin in opposite directions if also correct. best of luck,Tom"

Back