Logo

1995 Merc Black Max Wont start

ekern

This summer I had an issue whe

This summer I had an issue where I could run my engine it would start and run as long as I didnt shut it off. Once I would stop the motor the engine wouldnt re-start not even an crank of the engine just selonoid clicks. I replaced the selonoid for the up titlt on my motor. The guy at the store gave em the wrong one but I figured that it wouldnt really matter. Could this be the issue due to a lack of proper continuity electronically?

You need to use a starting sol

You need to use a starting solenoid for the starter. They are designed to carry more current than the T&T solenoids.

Thanks for the info. Maybe my

Thanks for the info. Maybe my post wasn't clear. The T&T solenoid was replaced and it was not the correct one. Could that effect the ability to start the engine since it seems to me that the whole electrical system is a closed circuit. If the solenoid has nothing to do with my issue where else should I start because it seems to me that there is a bad ground somewhere but don't know where to begin.

"T&T solenoids have nothin

"T&T solenoids have nothing to do with the starting circuit. Probably 90% of all starting problems are due to bad connections or bad battery. Have your battery load tested at your local auto parts store. If it is good and fully charged, and all your connections are very clean and tight, use jumper cables from the battery straight to the starter. If the starter now works properly then you know the problem is either a bad cable, a bad solenoid, or a bad switch. If the solenoid clicks when trying to start then the switch is good. Note that the lugs on the cables can corrode inside where you can't see it. You can also do a voltage drop test across each lug if you have a meter and know how to do it."

Perfect. Thanks for all of the

Perfect. Thanks for all of the help. I figured it was a bad ground somewhere due to the fact that electronics would still work and the solenoid would click when the engine trying to start almost sounds like static that's why I went to that as the issue but a bad ground would have same effect I guess. I really appreciate all of your help. Thanks again.

"When you hold the key in the

"When you hold the key in the start position you need to test if you have power coming out to the starter motor, i have seen many solenoids just click but they do not make proper contact inside due to vertigrease build up."

Back