Logo

Mercury 5hp 2 stroke 1988 year

fishn_guy

I just purchased a 5hp 2 strok

I just purchased a 5hp 2 stroke. Started it on a stand in a barrel of water. It starts up very easily and runs good but a little rough. I noticed a build up of oil in the barrel and smokey exhaust. what can I do to make this run better?

Thanks

"That is how they run.

If

"That is how they run.

If it ain't smokin' it's broken.
happy.gif
"

"Also ive found some motors ar

"Also ive found some motors are full of old oil etc,and when you start them after them sitting,they will take a little while to clean themselves out,and will run a bit cleaner.but as Bandit says,if it aint smokin,its broken"

"I was running a approx 50:1 g

"I was running a approx 50:1 gas/oil mixture and I did notice one thing. If I let it idle on slow for a while and then rev up the RPM'S, the smoke would blow out for a few seconds and then the exhaust would run cleaner at the higher speed. Ian you may be right. Maybe because it was stored for 2 years there could have been some old crap burning off. This is my first motor and with no manual, all I can do is ask questions.

Thanks guys"

"Was it cold that day, with co

"Was it cold that day, with cold water in the barrel? If so, the poor thing never got a chance to warm up. THAT will cause lots of smoking.

Jeff"

"Up in Maine here. Air temp wa

"Up in Maine here. Air temp was 36 and light snow barometer falling. I would say the motor was sitting at that temp as well. Water temp was around 50 I would guess. I'll have to wait until early spring to take it out for a spin around the lake for the real test. I'm pushing a 20 ft. grand laker square stern canoe.

Thanks,
Mike"

"Brrr! You "Mainiacs"

"Brrr! You "Mainiacs" can have that winter weather up there. Love summers in Maine, however (after the Black Flies are gone.) Aunt had a place in South Waterford, on Bear Pond. One of the most beautiful places on earth!

Yes, that's pretty cold for barrel running. The plugs will never get close to warming up and always come out wet and black.

Jeff"

Merc did not use themostats in

Merc did not use themostats in most of there engines in the 80's. That will make the plug fouling worse.

Back