Logo

Tohatsu 35HP doesnbt rev

shark24

"Hi,

I have a Tohatsu 3.5HP

"Hi,

I have a Tohatsu 3.5HP, (even though it says Mercury on the outside) It starts very easily but when I try to rev it, it just dies. It idles very well and I have cleaned the carb. Does it have some sort of rev limiter?"

"There is no rev limiter, but

"There is no rev limiter, but sometimes these engines need to run a bit richer as they grow older. You can change the mixture by changing the height of the metering needle that hangs from the air valve. There are three or four grooves on this needle and a washer that fits into these grooves to set the height. Try raising the needle one groove and see if it helps."

""Cleaning" means diff

""Cleaning" means different things to different people. I would suggest taking the carb back apart, soaking the body and metal bits in cleaner for three hours and then trying it again."

"Problem solved! After cleanin

"Problem solved! After cleaning the carb 3 times without any result I changed the seemingly new spark plug for a new one and then the motor works perfectly, it starts easily and after a short warmup run of less than 1 minute it revs as high as you want to go in free gear and in gear it seem to work as it should also. I can only run the motor in a bucket inside my garage as it is now -15 deg outside and snow. Now I can be fairly confident that the motor will work when I need it in spring time. Strange that it started so easily with an obviously faulty spark plug?"

"Sometimes you can have a bit

"Sometimes you can have a bit of carbon stuck down inside a plug or a cracked insulator that malfunctions. Plugs are cheap so replacing them periodically, even when they look okay, isn't a bad idea."

Back