Logo

Optimax problems need help 1999 225 hp

jeb0823

"Hey everyone, Hopefully someone can chime in and help. I have a 1999 225 optimax. Runs fine at idle although can be hard to start. Air compressor sounds funny like its 'sucking air' if that makes sense. This is comparing it in relation to it twin right next to it. The motor will NOT turn over 1500 to 2000 RPM's under load. If not under load it will turn RPM's with no problem. Fuel injector have been cleaned and calibrated. Fuel filters have been checked and replaced multiple times. Can the compressor cause this? If so why? If you have ANY suggestions as to what could be causing this please let me know.
Thanks"

I would check compression on t

I would check compression on the cylinders and rule out a bad hole. It sounds somewhat like the issue that has put me in my current situation with a burned piston. I would rule that out before the issue gets worse.

Compression was checked and al

Compression was checked and all cylinders were fine. It seems like it is running out of fuel when it happens.

Seems like a medium fuel pump

Seems like a medium fuel pump is where is would start looking. There should be an electric fuel pump strapped to the outside of the VST. If the case of the pump it is getting very hot than it is gone bad.

"Hey everyone, Hopefully someone can chime in and help. I have a 1999 225 optimax. Runs fine at idle although can be hard to start. Air compressor sounds funny like its 'sucking air' if that makes sense. This is comparing it in relation to it twin right next to it. The motor will NOT turn over 1500 to 2000 RPM's under load. If not under load it will turn RPM's with no problem. Fuel injector have been cleaned and calibrated. Fuel filters have been checked and replaced multiple times. Can the compressor cause this? If so why? If you have ANY suggestions as to what could be causing this please let me know.
Thanks"

I just fixed the identical problem . I found that the gas lines had corroded on the inside and the plastic lining in gas lines got thru 2 filters then into the fuel pumps. I took everything apart and replaced all fuel lines and filters and then took the side mounted fuel pumps apart and cleaned with carb cleaner then blew all lines out. put back together and took out on the water and it ran better then it ever did. hope this saves you some money

Check the air and fuel pressure, if the compressor has took a chit it wont run worth a crap. The early models were bad about tracker valve problem and fuel rail problems..

Back