Logo

150 powerhead

gch

"I am running 6- 150 hondas on

"I am running 6- 150 hondas on 3 boats outside the country..

I love the Hondas for reliability and durability with one exception. In the last year, two of my 6 motors have self destructed..

The problem is the crankshaft starts cutting into the block until it damages both the crank and the block. Once you hear the noise, it is already unrepairable.. I need a new powerhead every time... This is definitely a defect in the motor.. In Mexico, Honda warranties only for a year. Last time they gave me a partial warranty, 7 months later. I have to have the boats working all the time. Time is a issue.

I change my oil and lower until fluid every 100 hours. We dont push the motors hard and run them under 4500 rpm..

The cylinders look brand new.. I use 10W30 Honda oil..

I dont have 7 months. I have 2 weeks before I have charters. I need a solution soon.

Honda Mexico is a waste of time.

I know this is a stupid question, but can I buy a powerhead from a used Accord, and make it work?

If I buy a Honda powerhead stateside, where can I find the best prices.

Anyone know of a used 150 honda for sale?

Any one person at Honda USA or Japan I can talk to?

I have to pay 34% duty on anything I buy. This gets expensive.

I bought Honda for their reliability. Now this. I am afraid this is going to happen again.

Any help is appreciated.."

"Well stop buying that type of

"Well stop buying that type of honda, buy something other than a 150 horsepower..."

"Thanks, I thought so! Any in

"Thanks, I thought so! Any info on web? Has Honda stepped up and taken responsibility? Have they fixed the problem?

I am contemplating the older 130 HP any hidden problems there?

Need a workhorse, any ideas?

Thanks."

"Yikes, that's disturbing.

"Yikes, that's disturbing.. So far my 150 has been great. Is there a specific series or production year that had issues? Anything I can do to prevent problems beyond good general care and Maintenance? (please don't say don't start it)

Thanks"

"Hey, I thought I was buying

"Hey, I thought I was buying the best. Now I have second thoughts... I am writing Honda Japan and wonder if I will get any answers.

I think this issue is something that needs to be brought up only if you have the problem.. I can post pictures of the block and crank if someone wants to see them."

"guys, they know what is up

"guys, they know what is up

if the Honda tech proves the crank spacer is bad, they will work wonders

it is all about dealer!!!!!!!!!!"

"J-I-T, Is there a service bul

"J-I-T, Is there a service bulletin on that problem. Friend has a pair of 150's. No apparent problems, yet. But would like to know if Honda issued a service bulletin or technical bulletin on the problem."

"Wow JIT, so major problem tha

"Wow JIT, so major problem that may affect all these 150's? And I assume that the 135's are in on that problem too? And Honda's trying to keep it quiet?

So if you use it a lot you get warranty work but the casual user may not be affected for 10 years. I am the second owner of a 135 so am I out of luck already? About how many average hours do I have before she blows?"

"150 has problems same with 22

"150 has problems same with 225

they used car parts, not heavy duty parts that boats require

a few years

you need to call honda or find a kick ass dealer"

Back