Logo

99 HP access to oil filter

beachflies

"The first time I changed the

"The first time I changed the oil filter on my 9.9, half of the aluminum(!) screws -- securing the cover on the lower right side of the motor -- were so tight that I tore up the screw heads and had to remove them with an easy-out.
Questions:
Is this an aberration?
Is there anything wrong with replacing them with stainless steel fasteners with a tiny dab of Never-Seize.

Thanks in advance for wisdom."

"Hi John,
I work on many of t

"Hi John,
I work on many of the smaller Honda engines and I love their ruggedness and the fact that they are one of the best made on the market. For the most, part all I have to say is that they are built with nothing but the best materials and craftsmanship and are worth the extra money they cost. As a consumer, Honda is the outboard I would buy.

But, as a mechanic, I have a few pet peeves when it comes to how they did some things and those cover screws are at the top of my list. I ALWAYS have my impact driver out to take the covers off. I don't always need it but I've learned, like you, to have it handy. If you use an impact driver on the phillips head screws, they usually come out easy. Proper impact driver "technique" and good quality #2 tips are a must here.

Honda sells a replacement (aluminum alloy) screw with a Allen head hex drive that works much better at coming off and doesn't fall in the water if you need to go in there "wet" which I try not to do anyway. You do need to carry the "extra" tool though. I like my old two stroke Merc that, "wham-bam", the the engine is totally accessable in about 3.4 seconds.

I think you have a good idea in using stainless and anti sieze. I don't see why not.

Now, don't get me started about the plastic carburator muffler housings with the molded in brass nuts!!! Hint: start spraying yours now with Aero Kroil or PB Blaster every chance you get."

"<font face=""arial,helvet

"<font face=""arial,helvetica"">Thank you, Jimmy. I am also a Honda devotee. This is my first Honda outboard, but two Honda lawn mowers have served me for 30+ years - traded in the first one when I bought the second. Honda-powered portable generator. Several Honda cars. Etc.

In fact, the stainless screws were Allen-head, and I used SS star washers. I've checked them, and there's no sign of loosening. My concern was mostly about possible galvanic reaction from salt water spray. Never-Seize is supposed to suppress that. (Factoid of the Day: There is a special grade of N-S approved by the NRC for use on nuclear reactors. I bet it's just as messy as the plain variety!)

I'll start lubricating those nut inserts right away!</font>"

"Hey John,
I just wish that C

"Hey John,
I just wish that Chevy commercial with Howie Long that compares the Honda to their stuff would be honest and line up all the stuff that Honda makes (and makes well) instead of just the lawnmower.

One other thing that Honda has that is "self propelled" is the company. GM can't really say that about themselves anymore...OUCH!

I used to pooh-pooh the Honda outboards as overpriced until I started working on them and comparing them to the others. I work on rental boats and the Honda is really the only one that stands up well to that kind of owner AND customer abuse. One set of '09 Tohatsus that were put in service this spring didn't make it through the summer. They bought them because they were cheap but I asked how cheap is that? The Hondas they are running next to are '01 and '02 and they had NO, nada, none... service until I started working on them in '05. Ain't lost one yet.
Keep lubing those nuts though!"

Back