Logo

Mercury 2005 4hp 4 stroke laying on side

ryanerb

"So while transporting my 4hp merc 4 stroke, 2005, i lay it on my side. however, when i got to the lake, never could get it fired, as the plug was fouled. it was pretty wet. i'm wondering if transporting it on its side (yes, i put the handle down, as on the digram) will cause any draining into the cylinder, thus fouling the plug easier? should i transport with the plug out?"

same thing is happening to me

same thing is happening to me i have a 2hp 4 stroke and after transporting it on its side i could never get it fired and when i went to pick it up from it laying on its side. oil was in the cylinder.

have you been able to fire it?

"went and bought a new spark p

"went and bought a new spark plug, and it fired right up. pulled the rope start a few times with the spark plug out of it before putting the new one in."

"if you run it out of fuel by

"if you run it out of fuel by turning the tap off while idling every time you finish with it,you wont have problems when its laid on its side later.because there will be no fuel left in he carbie or motor.works for me"

"It's designed to be trans

"It's designed to be transported on it's side and the fuel will not run into the cylinder from doing that. The main thing that you are trying to avoid is oil running into the combustion chamber. Only gravity keeps it out and people often tilt the engine lower unit up too high as they take the engine out of car or off of a boat or lay it on the wrong side....Also, the 2, 2.5 and 3.5, in defiance of common sense, actually lay down on the opposite side of the tiller handle."

Back