Logo

TStat check balls

dessie

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
new.gif
Hi Guys, while winterizing my 1990 4.3L I removed the 2 hoses going to the risers to drain them. I noticed the check balls were loose and not seated on the housing. I tightened the nut, but even at the end of the thread the balls were still loose. Could the springs be compressed? Does any one know how long the springs should be? The housing is old and showing corrosion. Could I have lost so much material from the housing that the balls will never fit?
Last question; could this problem also cause overheating at idle (another problem I am chasing)?
Thanks in advance from Bonnie Scotland
rain.gif
"

"[b]"Last question; could

""Last question; could this problem also cause overheating at idle (another problem I am chasing)?"

Yes,... Absolutely....
"

"Wow, rapid response, thanks B

"Wow, rapid response, thanks Bondo. Fingers crossed for next season that my overheating will have gone when I fix my balls, so to speak."

"Ayuh,...
I was in abit of a

"Ayuh,...
I was in abit of a Rush yesterday,...Sorry...

I fought long,+ hard to figure out Why my motor had a low rpm overheat situation for quite a few years,...
I had put a later model 4.3LX ahead of a Alpha 1, rather than the Gen.II it came from...
It all boils down(pun intended) to the fact that the older Alpha drive don't pump near as much volume as the Gen.II drives do,...
The check-balls in the T-Stat housing hold the water back in the block longer to keep things cooled down...
You can either replace the whole Housing, or I believe just the check-balls,+ their hardware can be bought seperately...

Good Luck..."

"Hi
3rd time lucky I hope

"Hi
3rd time lucky I hope, I rebuilt the pickup pump,no change,then after reading a post here I changed a melted water pocket, no change.
I will ponder over changing the whole housing (very expensive over here), maybe Santa will be generous. Hopefully some kind soul will have some info reguarding the spring length to aid my decision.

Thanks again"

i have a 1988 imperial that se

i have a 1988 imperial that seems to be starving for fuel pump surges every half second when engine dyes there is no fuel in lines or in sepperator any help?

"Thanks Guy, I have the obsole

"Thanks Guy, I have the obsolete one piece housing. I know GLM will supply a check ball kit for it but I am concerned that even after fitting that the balls will not seat on the housing as even with full adjustment on my old set up each ball is still about 5-6mm from the housing.
question.gif
"

"How much tension should be on

"How much tension should be on the balls once they are seated against the housing? Thank you, Bob"

I can't give you a number.

I can't give you a number. I found it is just about enough to hold them closed w/a little tension when I checked my new assy. before installation.

"You can't replace the bra

"You can't replace the brass "T" as an assy.?

Hi Guy, afraid not, the t/stat housing is one large piece (all iron) with no seperate "T" assembly. This is now obsolete and has been replaced by the housing that does have the brass "T". This is why I have concerns as to the the ball seats which were corroded.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulletins/018/04//1999/EN_02.PDF
If you manage to look at above I have the housing on the left (71784).
As I said the balls will not seat even with the nut fully wound in. I have cleaned up the housing with a dremel so I get a reasonable seal but I still have the question of the spring length. I can buy the balls,rod and spring but would hate to do this if I need a new housing as GLM sell as a kit including balls etc."

"Go to a local marina and expl

"Go to a local marina and explaine what your issue is and ask if they may have a bad engine (s) lying around that you could get the thermostat housing from.

Post a add in craigs list if you want under the boats section.

I bet you can find one if you look around a bit.

other wise you could buy a newer one without the balls, newer than the ones in that bulliten."

Back