Logo

1996 40hp ob

catfishjohnny

"Trim stuck down,i know how to

"Trim stuck down,i know how to release screw to get back up(thanks to all on (HERE)...But how do i fix problem??I also here clicking when i push trim button up or down... Relay clicking correct??

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!!"

"hi Johnny,find the relay that

"hi Johnny,find the relay thats clicking,then locate the wires going to the trim motor.connect a lead temporarily from the battery supply,and touch one of the leads going to the trim motor.if the trim/hydraulic motor whirs into life,i suspect the relay.if you get lots of sparks,,trim motor needs o/hauling.suggest connecting a lead to the trim motor cables,[just ones enough]and use the attached cables for the touching check,saves damaging the relay connections.or,try a good relay."

"all good relays click when po

"all good relays click when power supplied,but some supply power to where there supposed to,others dont.[contacts inside burnt or pitted].if u temporarily bypass the relay,and the motor works ,it tells you if the relay is faulty.a relay is a way of connecting safely any two things where amperage would cause a spark,by using a lot smaller current via a solenoid ie starter/headlight etc.also saves running heavy cables up to the key switch/headlight switch etc.if in doubt,take it to an electrician,he can tell you definitely if the trim motor shorted and cost of repairs"

"Thanks,bypassed relays still

"Thanks,bypassed relays still nothing,tapped on motor with rubber mallet worked for about 10 seconds and nothing! Trying to avoid the "STEALERS" don't have deep pockets!!
So is the motor bad??Can it be rebuilt?
Is their a solenoid that could be bad?
ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!"

johnny. if you unplug the moto

johnny. if you unplug the motor and feed direct 12v to it you should get it moving. if it doesnt move theres a good chanse its grounded out and toast or just locked up. make sure you use the apropriate wire zise for the motor if you are going to use jumper wire. it should be able to be rebuilt. if it works fine. check relays and wiring going to trim motor wires.

"I UNHOOKED THE 2 WIRES AT THE

"I UNHOOKED THE 2 WIRES AT THE SWITCH ON THE MOTOR,AND USED A JUMPER PACK,SHOULD THAT HAVE WORKED?? ANY INPUT I AM GRATEFUL FOR!!!"

as long as there is nothing be

as long as there is nothing between the jumper pack and the motor it should have worked. if not then the motor is the suspect. depending on the condition of it you might be able to rebuild or you might have to replace

"blue is up
green is down

"blue is up
green is down

apply 12v + to blue and 12v - to green it will go up

visa versa

bad relays or grounds, replace both relays and check fluid"

Back