Logo

2002 150L Saltwater Series carb engine no spark

lesalk

"I have a pair of 2002 150hp c

"I have a pair of 2002 150hp carb engines, saltwater series. Both ran fine last time out, but as I approached the dock and backed down to idle, the starbord engine cut out. I wasn't able to restart it.

After getting back to the house, I found the throttle lever disconnected from the leverarm on the engine. I reinstalled the cable and tightened the phillips head screw clamping it in place. The engine wouldn't start and I've found there is no spark on any of the six plugs. I've troubleshot through the controls and the keyswitch, kill switch, oil level switch are fine. I've swapped the ignition modules between the running engine and the bum engine. The running engine runs fine, bum still has no crank.

Could the trigger plate or armature been damaged by running the engine with throttle linkage disconnectd? My stator coil (white w/grn and green /wht) leads ohm out at 150 ohms v. the spec 390 ohms.

Has anyone else run across this problem?"

"I made a mistake above, inste

"I made a mistake above, instead of reading "The running engine runs fine, bum still has no crank", it should have read "The running engine runs fine, bum still has no SPARK". Sorry."

"JIT,

Are you talking about

"JIT,

Are you talking about the white wire between the trigger and the control module?

Dan"

Can anyone give me the stator

Can anyone give me the stator part number for a 2002 150L Carb engine with the serial number 0T529165?

Dan

"JIT,

I plan on getting it

"JIT,

I plan on getting it tested, but need to prepare my banker (wife) for possible costs...
"

"Ok, Test results are as foll

"Ok, Test results are as follows:

Trigger resistance ~1280 ohms all three - OK by the shop manual, should be 1100-1400 ohms

Stator Output test ~46v with DVA - Bad per Shop Manual should be 160-320v

Stator Resistance ~145 ohms - bad per Shop Manual, should be 380-430 ohms.

Stupid wet finger test. Stuck screwdriver in plug wire on three different cylinders, no shock. Not satified, full of self doubt, so I went to the port engine and tried the same thing, you know, just to see.... well, suffice to say, the port engine is firing just fine and my grandson thought it was a cool dance. Friend still laughing, wife just shook head and walked off.

Should I spring for a stator?"

Back