Logo

4108 HOT STARTING

ian99

"I have just bought a 1980 Br

"I have just bought a 1980 Bruce Roberts ketch with a 4108 fitted. The seller told me it was difficult to start when hot. He's changed the lift pump and filters and it ran smoothly on a sea trial. (& more quietly than I remember of others I've come across!)
The hot oil pressure was about 20psi at idle, 60psi otherwise; it started after a few seconds of cranking and 30secs of glow plug when cold.
thanks, Ian"

"Hello Ian, Since its a Perkin

"Hello Ian, Since its a Perkins,I'd say pay close attention to any and all joints in the fuel system as the brass nuts and ferrules can develop leaks through the years. Also I've made a habit of keeping the glow plug system in order and using it to start,That's the purpose of it. Good luck and fair winds,Oh, and clean and protect all the Battery/starter connections...JD"

Thanks JD.
I think I will tak

Thanks JD.
I think I will take the head off over christmas and check the valve guides and seats as well as inspect the bores for wear. I will probably also send the pump and injectors away for servicing.

It sounded to me like the previous owner had tried to solve the bad hot starting but never did although he has not neglected the maintenance.
IJ

Back