Logo

98hp shaft removal question

backyardcamper

"I'm replacing my lower ge

"I'm replacing my lower gear case assembly on a 2001 9.8 hp 2-stroke.

The repair manual I have only goes up to 2000 and shows a different setup - a nut attaching the pinion nut to the drive shaft. I don't have a nut, it looks like the lower send of the shaft is splined and press fit into the gear.

Any ideas for how to remove the gear and the shaft?"

Remove the water pump and the

Remove the water pump and the drive shaft will pull out. Remove the prop shaft housing and pull out the prop shaft to get to the pinion gear. Why are you trying to remove the drive shaft and pinion? There isn't any reason to do so unless you are replacing them due to one of them being broken.

"Tohatsu Guru - I am replacing

"Tohatsu Guru - I am replacing the whole darn lower assembly because I fouled it up (long painful story). I've removed the prop and prop shaft, no problems. I've removed the water pump/impeller assembly, no problem.

The drive shaft spins freely but wont lift out, perhaps the bearing assemlby is holding it in? From what I see looking in through the prop shaft, I don't think the 'bevel' gear that is attached to the drive shaft will fit up through the hole in the gear assembly & I thought it had to be removed.

Anyway, is there a certain technique for pulling the drive shaft, because it spins freely but doesn't budge to remove?"

"Once you remove all of the wa

"Once you remove all of the waterpump housings the shaft simply pulls out. The bearing on the drive shaft comes out with it. The pinion gear will just fall off. There isn't any real trick to it. Just man up and yank
You can't hurt anything. One bit of advice. Chuck that worthless aftermarket service manual and get a factory one from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer. They aren't cheap, but they are accurate."

"TG - thanks,a few taps to the

"TG - thanks,a few taps to the assembly with the rubber mallet while I held the shaft did the trick. Pinion gear came right out, same for the forward gear. The bearings behind the forward gear aren't coming out - do I need a puller for that?"

Yeah...that sucker isn't b

Yeah...that sucker isn't budging - there must be a special tool just for this. I borrowed a friends 2 jaw puller and it is too wide to fit in the prop shaft.

"The bearing is out. A trip t

"The bearing is out. A trip to Autozone and borrowed (free!) their "blind hole puller" and that worked like a charm. It took a few taps of the slide hammer to remove, so it was seated in there pretty well though.

All is good - thanks for the input TG."

Back