Logo

Swim Platform Trolling Motor Brackets

ajaymuch

"Does anyone have any experien

"Does anyone have any experience with swim platform motor brackets? I have a 21' Four Winns with a 170hp four cylinder. I am looking at using a 5hp mercury outboard as a trolling motor and back up should I have problems with the main power. Thx,
Rick J."

"I have designed a swim platfo

"I have designed a swim platform mounting brkt,I would be willing to sell you the one I built,please do not think I am a jerk for saying that!the only reason is that I am in the process of getting a design patent,you would be getting a prototype only problem is I would have to check with my attorney,I know there is a stipulation about design protection,I could actually design a complete system from fuel to electric to brkt,its all about politic though
uhoh.gif
"

I would be interested in learn

I would be interested in learning more about your design. Is it a permanent mount or one that can be removed easily?

I have a heavy 4 stroke honda

I have a heavy 4 stroke honda for a kicker mounted to a bracket that mounts on the swim platform. Never had trouble with it.

I've had two 200 pounders standing on the platform at one time so I believe the platform is pretty solid.

No it's easily removeable.

No it's easily removeable. It's kind of a thick aluminum box that bolts to the platform with a thick wood end where the kicker mounts to. It's pretty sturdy.

"This is as close to mine as I

"This is as close to mine as I could find online:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=71388&product=92839

Mine doesn't have the fancy tilt but I would think mine is stronger since it's welded together instead of bolted. Then just four large stainless bolts/ nuts and large washers fasten it to the swim platform. Takes about 5 minutes to remove and install. I also used the same idea for a marine grade plywood platform to bolt to the swim step for putting coolers, crab traps, bait buckets, etc.

It wouldn't be hard to make one. Mine came on the boat when I bought it so I don't know the brand name."

"Guys, Thanks for the feedback

"Guys, Thanks for the feedback. Danny, I will follow up with you. I am in Michigan so I will not need anything until spring. i am interested in your approach."

They are very easy to construc

They are very easy to construct if you can weld and have access to the metal i constructed mine for a 9hp merc 4 stroke also if you have a small swim pf then you need to compensate on the otherside for the weight. also i took a bracket roller and groved it out and mounted it to the step and it make's for a nice chock for trailoring

"Gentlemen,the bracket I have

"Gentlemen,the bracket I have designed is unlike any of the one's on the market,it wieghs approx,3 - 5 lbs,can be mounted to any platform or even a small step,it is easily removable,leaving only an 1/8" flush mounted plate on the platform,this eliminates the danger of tripping or cuts to swimmers.It mounts in about 5 minutes and can be stored on board any smal to medium craft,I would like the oppertunity to install a few of these s they can be used and shown off,they are extremely useful for the fishermen who uses his boat for family outings and for fishing with the guys as with proper installation it can be installed to steer with your tiller or even with your present helm(this is only available with boats with outboards right now).Please don't think I am a company selling a product,I'm just a long time boater ? mechanic with a product alot of us may be able to use,if anyone wants to give it a try,give me a holler and we can talk about setting something up,I'm not sure about price because each one can be built exclusively for each application,so let me know,if I can get them out there I am sure they will take off,I started by building one and ended up making 3 !!"

"On my boat, at least, the swi

"On my boat, at least, the swim platform with a folding 2 step ladder is a piece of safety equipment. Question for inquiring minds...
You are alone at sea, and you fall overboard.
How will you get back on board?"

"I have a 7' wide swim pla

"I have a 7' wide swim platform, no ladder. The kicker bracket is only 13" wide. I step on the outdrive and pull myself up using the kicker motor for something to grab onto. Done it lots of times in the summer."

"Bracket design has been certi

"Bracket design has been certified and is protected from duplication as of Dec.10,looks like we're going to be at the boat shows over the winter,if you want to inquire,give me a holler,from what I am told by the patent co.there are none like it and the engineers and R&D guys say it needs no changes,it will be available in,aluminum,stainless or white powder coated steel,prices will vary by design,and to think,I thought of this while I was out fishing and put the original sketch on a cup cake box,and they say we don't do anything important on the weekend!!!"

"Judging by the looks of the s

"Judging by the looks of the supports on your platform,no ,but if it were in better condition,yes a brkt could be designed for a small kicker or trolling motor,each brkt is custom designed with the size,strength and dimnensions of the platform it will be used on,as well as the size of the motor to be used,however,as in your case,I would not advise this application as the platform supports are in poor codition and damage to the platform as well as the transom would result.Should you replace the platform ,then I could safely recommend a brkt."

"You would obviously need to f

"You would obviously need to find a new location for your ladder as it would surely be in the way of the motor.If you wanted to keep your present mount ,I would strongly advise mounting a similar step on the opposite side,this would not only give you a second platform to use,it would also give you a new a more stabile mount for your kicker!It would also make the boat look more balanced as well as apealing,I could never understand why they only put a step on one side,there is USUALLY more than one person who wants to get in or out and someome ALWAYS wants to sit there while your anchored up!it is especially appealing to the ladies who want a place to sit and put their feet in the water while they tan,no?"

"To clarify,in a situation lik

"To clarify,in a situation like this ,what we do is install brackets(Pat.#154620) to replace the brackets that are on the platform,instead of running over the top,they simply run underneath,this gives the same support and also increases clearance for the tiller arm to swing back and fourth,cost of these replacement brackets made to your dimensions would be about $50,I am presently working on a portable steering system for stern drive applications to eliminate tillers,for boats with o/b applications there is only a control cable issue but this has been solved with a quick connect set of aux.controls(pat.pending)that are easy to install and very cost effective.For steering,most o/b manufacturers make aux.steering arms,or one can be designed for your particular application."

"Paul, as long as you have a p

"Paul, as long as you have a platform to mount an O/B on it can be used with any drive"

"Rick. Check out "adventur

"Rick. Check out "adventuremarine.net". You are probably looking at Model #10 000. A friend has this and is delighted with it. I went with Model # 4100. I removed one of my swim grids (left the one with the ladder on), and mounted this directly on the transom. I've had the ones that are adjustable, but they only seem to last a few years. This new one is absolutely bullet proof! It's rated for 140 lbs., but I believe that a small rhino wouldn't move this thing. It's not cheap, but when you see it, you'll know why."

"Bob, Thanks for your suggesti

"Bob, Thanks for your suggestions. I have been talking with Danny on this thread; Sounds like he may have exactly what I am looking for."

"My motor bracket is ¼” alu

"My motor bracket is ¼” aluminum plate 7 ½” wide, 19” long, bended 90 degrees at 8” and 1” by 1” SS braces on each side from bottom back of plate to top of 8” 90 degree bend . Garelick 71056 outboard motor bracket mounts to 8” side of aluminum plate, 11”side of plate mounts to swim platform. I steer it with a hydraulic cylinder and pump out of a 1960 Corvair that operated the convertible top, with DPDT momentary switch on the dash.
376251.jpg
"

"problem there is ,you can&#39

"problem there is ,you can't remove it if you want a quick change,with my design,in 5 minutes you have full use of you step or platform plus it looks like the design puts alot of stress on the front of the mount,I DO like the steering idea though!"

Back