Logo

1980 470 starter question

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"Well, i had to replace ring g

"Well, i had to replace ring gear on my 1980 470 mecruiser motor. Figured i'd get the starter checked out too. When i got starter back, the gear on the starter looked different. Put starter on motor before dropping motor in place, and noticed the starter drive gear was already engaged onto the flywheel. Called the guy who did the starter, and he said that's how it should be. He said when the motor fires off, the gear will retract away from the flywheel. I can't see how this is possible, but i'm sure he knows what he is talking about. Does this sound correct?"

"Yes,

The cyntrifical force

"Yes,

The cyntrifical force put on the gear as the rpms increase will cause it to dissengage from the ring gear........If you spin it by hand you will see that its natural tendicy is to spin away from the end of the starter...."

K:
centrifugal or centripetal

K:
centrifugal or centripetal force???

We always referred to them as "inertia" style because the drive doesn't move until things start (moving) spinning.

First thing in the morning....

First thing in the morning.............need a spell check here..............

Wasn't trying to "Poke

Wasn't trying to "Poke" anything sharp at you...just trying to get clarification on which one you were refering to?

Back