Logo

5 hp oil seal bearing prop shaft

hopalong

"I am pulling apart the lower

"I am pulling apart the lower end of my Nissan 5 hp two stroke to replace the oil seal. However, the seal is really stuck -- probably because it has been in there 15 or so years. Any suggestions for working it loose properly? Thanks."

"Me too, same job and same eng

"Me too, same job and same engine. I have my manual and I am about to order my parts from internetoutboards, of course. This will be my first time and I would really appreciate any hints or suggestions. Thanks."

"Soaked the housing with seal

"Soaked the housing with seal overnight in diesel fuel but the seal still won't come out. I now figure electrolysis may have set in, assuming the seal has steel on the outside that is now linked in a bond with the aluminum housing. I am going to soak the whole thing in vinegar, which I have used to dissolve corrosion between stainless and aluminum in the past. Suggestions still welcome."

No trick to it. Just pull the

No trick to it. Just pull the prop shaft housing off the engine and then use a screwdriver to pop the seal out. Its rubber on the seal to the aluminum of the housing so have at it.

"Thanks for the information an

"Thanks for the information and suggestion. However, the rubber is almost rock hard and will not separate from the edge of the housing even using a knife. I have also used both a screwdriver and an awl. I am a bit concerned about damaging the surface of the housing so that it then will not have tight fit with the new seal. My latest ploy is to heat the housing/seal in boiling water(on the stove as I write). Hopefully, the seal will soften and will come out entirely or can be picked out.

Another question re the seal, I am in Mexico and not to likely to find the OEM Nissan part. The bearing has a number on it and may be standard. But is the seal a standard size? I found what may be a non-Nissan part number on the parts manual. D15-D28-10mm

Thanks for any further help and advice."

The seal is out! It has a rubb

The seal is out! It has a rubber face that connects with the aluminum housing. But it has a steel inner ring that requires some force to bend in order to remove the entire seal.

"Found the right bearing down

"Found the right bearing down here in Romantic Old Mexico, but the seals are a little thinner than the Nissan specs: D14 instead of D15. However, it is the best that can be found. So the question is which way should the seal face. The old seal is so mangled that it is impossible to determine the proper orientation. The manual appears to indicate that the more closed end of the seal should face the bearing. However, the manual also told me to tighten shift rod joint bolt when it needed to be loosened to remove the bottom end. So I am not sure which way to insert the seal. Perhaps the Tohatsu guru could advise me please. Thank you."

Whoops. I misspoke in the last

Whoops. I misspoke in the last message. The manual says the oil steel plate side should face the gear case side. I assume the side of the seal that is more closed is the steel plate side. Is that correct?

"Well, that's too bad abou

"Well, that's too bad about not providing support. I have spent hundreds of dollars for parts with Nissan over the years. But I cannot get Nissan parts in Mexico and won't be able to get back to the US for months, so I have to work with what is available. Obviously, your response will affect future decisions regarding purchases of a replacement for this aging engine, which right now will be negative for Nissan, based on your response. It would be to Nissan's benefit and, I presume, to yours reconsider your shortsighted policy."

"I don't work for Nissan o

"I don't work for Nissan or Tohatsu so threats like yours are as empty as your head. By your third post you proved to me you are a typical know it all who thinks he can fix anything...But does not have the ability to do so. Using an incorrect part is simply stupid. Not knowing that you CAN get the part you need through a Mercury dealer is yet another indication of how limited you are. You are owed nothing and you have shown that you are like a rude, spoiled child who demands what he wants and believes he is entitled to it. No soup for you little boy."

Back