Logo

Johnson 150 Faststrike Will not Start Hot

mercury_dude

"I just took it out on the lak

"I just took it out on the lake. Ran great at first. After about 10 minutes went back to dock. Started missing. Loaded on Trailer. Tried to start, just acts like it wants to start. Changed plugs, no help. It did this once before. After it cooled off, it started last time. I changed the power pack. Could it be a stator or rectifier? New to johnsons. Always owned Mercury. Any help would be appreciated. Going to the Gulf Coast this weekend."

Remove the air box from he fro

Remove the air box from he front of the carbies and prime the fuel bulb...check if fuel runs out the carbies it could be flooding

Run a spark tester and check s

Run a spark tester and check spark. Even better if you may borrow an 'ignition analyzer' from a dealer and test the optical sensor.

"here in texas,..there is no w

"here in texas,..there is no way in hell,..they r gonna loan an ign tester to walk out the door...and,some fellow walks in,tells his trbls,mine aint leaving either...
an ign test,is obvioulsly in order,...a loose timing wheel,or broken area,on timing wheel,seems ,..to be occuring more frequently..."

"Honestly I did not let my tes

"Honestly I did not let my tester out of the door either.
Had a sign on my workshop door:

Tools only to be 'borrowed' accompanied by mechanic!

That said, if on a trailer, would not take long for a dealer to run the test. probably far cheaper than changing parts at will and random!"

"Problem Solved. Thermostats

"Problem Solved. Thermostats were not standard. They did not have the air bleed holes and would not open up. Changed to OMC (Ouch,cost) stats and ran engine again. No more problem. Overheat horn was not working either. Replaced horn with a gauge. Runs around 140-150 all the time. Thanks for all of your help."

Back