Logo

Detroit Diesel Fluids

torch

What is the recommended oil fo

What is the recommended oil for 671 TIB's. I heard Rotella is the best but what else can I use? ALso what fluid should I use in my Hurth transmissions? Thanks

"Howdy Peter,
Rotella is a go

"Howdy Peter,
Rotella is a good brand and I don't think anyone could be faulted for using it in a 6-71. But it is just a brand and what is more important is that you use the proper grade and viscosity of oil. 6-71 engines, being two stroke engines, should be operated on a single vicosity oil due to the propensity of the engine to injest oil from the crankcase through the blower box. This mostly occurs at idle and is fondly referred to as "slobber". In addition, multi-viscosity oils tend to break down and become thinner with use and the "slobber" will increase to the point of uncontrolled fuel entering the combustion chamber. If you normally operate in a temperate zone, straight 40 weight is generally accepted as the standard for the 6-71. In addition to using a single viscosity oil, you should adhere to the API (American Petroleum Institute) rating for "C" grade oils. The "C" stands for compression ignition and is recommended for all diesel engines. One exception would be the AH-4 rated oil for high sulpher fuels. The API rating system is always changing with the advent of new engine and oil technology but today's standard of CJ-4 rating should be great for the no longer manufactured 2 stroke. Here is a link for more motor oil info. http://www.upmpg.com/motor_oil_rate_gas.htm Good luck."

Back