Logo

Mercruiser 43 v assembly mated to a volvo penta outdrive

"IS installing a mercruiser 90

"IS installing a mercruiser 90'- 4.3 engine assembly into an 88 volvo penta stern drive#(AQ31ASP) that had a 305 chevy ,possible using the mercruiser exhaust manifolds and accessories? would the mercruiser exhaust and risers be anywhere near the volvo penta y-pipe connection? i was going to use the volvo mount system,bellhousing, coupler and ignition system.The starter, alternator and powersteering pump would be from the mercruiser -the mercruiser donor is almost new. thanks for any wisdom!!"

"Donno,... But I doubt it...

"Donno,... But I doubt it...
Go ahead,+ Try it, then you can tell Us how it goes..."

Try posting over on the VP boa

Try posting over on the VP board. El Pescador seems to know everything and anything about VP V-8s and then some.

"the engine's not a proble

"the engine's not a problem, depends on the style of V9 manifolds the VP used.. may only need VP manifolds.,"

"the manifolds on the 4.3 now

"the manifolds on the 4.3 now are mercruiser sierra part #18-1952, i was hoping that a riser change would let the exhaust meet the volvo penta y- pipe---i am guessing that i must purchase volvo penta compatible manifolds and risers for the 4.3 to mate successfully to the volvo outdrive
thanks for any input"

"you might just need spacers a

"you might just need spacers and risers, I've seen some VP's that are higher than the mercs ( by 2-3 inches) depends on the boat I think. the manifold may mount without issue, depends on the manifold, the V6 Mercs are center riser which is what VP uses. and depending on if you have dry joints or wet, will affect to.. I'd do some web and picture browsing .. I like dougrussell.com for pictures ( close to my neck of the woods )"

"Reggie, Not sure if you saw i

"Reggie, Not sure if you saw it, but I did respond to your thread in the Volvo Penta section.
I have a small AQ series V/P biz and have done similar swaps!
It's pretty straight up as to what will and will not carry over re; the Volvo drive and exhaust components.

."

"I had a 5.7 MERC installed in

"I had a 5.7 MERC installed in front of my Volvo 280 drive. It did not exsctly match up. The mechanic who did the job cut the Volvo "Y" pipe short and used an elbow, reducer and rubber exhaust duty hose to connect the exhaust elbow to the Y pipe. You can use a "Hump hose" to make up any minor angular misalignment."

Back