Logo

V8 or V6

fishingfox1

How bad is the gas consumption

How bad is the gas consumption and how much more expensive is it to maintain a Mercruiser 200 hp V8 305 engine with power steering than a V6?
I am looking at purchasing a 1985 century 2000 bowrider. It weighs 1900 pounds dry. It is 18’ long and is 7’7” in width.
I am looking at having a capacity of 950 pounds of passengers plus gear and fuel.
Should I stay away from a V8.
Is this engine over kill? Should I look for a V6? I never owned a boat. I’m going to be a first time boat owner. I am confused. HELP!

"I like 8's over 6's i

"I like 8's over 6's in this case just because you can, if you need extra power you got it, if you don't need it, don't open up the throttle so much.
I have a 5.0 MPI ( 305 with multi port injection)
260 HP. love it.
being a 1st time purchaser might want to have the boat and motor checked out by a reputable shop and make sure you take it for a ride on the water to make sure its what you want. also the US Coast Guard aux. and power Squadron offer safe boating courses that will set you on the right course and let you talk with other boat owners in your area about various questions.
good luck and safe boating.
ps, beware of the dreaded 2footitis"

Thank you for the response. I

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it! I plan to take a course in boating safety this winter/ spring. I am buying this boat from a marina. They ran the boat with muffs and do a test run in the water then warranty the engine for 30 days. I guess from your response I should not worry about burning up a lot of gas and the extra cost difference of repair. Just smile and enjoy the extra power.

"Don't buy it w/o watching

"Don't buy it w/o watching them perform a wet/dry compression check on the engine. Then inspect the transom, stringers and floor for rot. If you don't know what you are looking for then get an expert to survey the boat. Rot will cost you a fortune to have repaired.

Being a first time buyer I would look for a newer boat; it's a buyer's market and there are thousands of them out there. Look for one w/a Fresh Water (antifreeze) cooled engine not run in saltwater. Look for a 2000 or newer model. A 4.3L V-6 will put out 200+ HP; it's a great engine. Just MHO for a 1st time buyer."

"beverly filipowicz
When you

"beverly filipowicz
When you are burning gas on a boat it means you are having fun. When you are not burning gas is when the work begins, and it becomes expensive.
proud.gif

Bert"

"I agree with Guy that a newer

"I agree with Guy that a newer boat might be a better choice for a 1st time buyer, a 1985 might have some problems with it. not sure what it will need to meet the demands of the ethanol in fuel that was forced on us."

"I also agree with Guy.

Hav

"I also agree with Guy.

Have an independent inspection of the hull, and everything that is attached to it.

If you are concerned about Fuel Consumption, then you can't afford to be involved in boating.

Petrol is the cheapest part.

Bruce."

"<font size=""+2"">B</font>rea

"<font size=""+2"">B</font>reak <font size=""+2"">O</font>ut <font size=""+2"">A</font>nother <font size=""+2"">T</font>housand}"

"Guy is spot on!!! And on the

"Guy is spot on!!! And on the fuel consumption issue, if you get a 17-18 ft boat with a 4cyl, it will be economical. My 4 cyl burns about 1.5-2.0 GPH Wide open Throttle!! Not too bad. As far as maintience, if you buy a boat that has been well taken care of despite the year of the boat, it can last you a long time!! Just like Guy said,stringers, transom and deck rot are big money if needed replaced. Just make sure you know what your getting into and you should be able to burn fuel instead of money on fixing it!!"

"NICE gl115!!! Your nailed tha

"NICE gl115!!! Your nailed that right on the head!!It is horribly too true though. I have never heard that saying before!!!Very True unfortunatly
rofl.gif
"

"Thanks everyone for all the a

"Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have looked at a lot of boats in the last month and spoke with a lot of people in regards to their opinion through their experiences. No One can ever have too much information. If any one knows of a excellent condition 17’ – 19’ bowrider with a mercruiser I/O for sale with in 250 miles from Chicago, let me know. I would like to keep the purchase price around $3000.00."

"Just like anything worth whil

"Just like anything worth while, it costs $$$.. With a newer boat you also can get a "lighter" boat. 4cyl's top about 35mph, V6's about 45mph Small Block 305/302 V8's about 50 (my nephew has a 2008 Glastron 205GX that shoots 20' high rooster tails!!! with a 305ci V8 and does 52gps)

I think you get the idea from all of these informative posts.

You can also get a boat with Power steering on a V6, not common on a 4cyl though, also not needed.

I also recommend a newer boat if your new to boating, and not very handy."

Back