Logo

454 74 litre engine

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
"Hi guys, I am in the process

"Hi guys, I am in the process of pulling a 454 out of a maxum and rebuilding it. Have had engine completly apart and them reassembled but at the time I thought a little water would not be so bad, wrong bad bad very bad. What if anything should be done to the block, before I put all new parts into it? By the way I am looking for the worst you can't hurt my feelings.
All imput welcomed."

Where did the water come from?

Where did the water come from?
Is the block cracked?
How rusty internally?
Define the "new parts"

"Flappers burned off or rotted

"Flappers burned off or rotted off who knows boat is ten years old but I have kept it up well until
now my first real problem, No rust on inside but also no compression 60-65 on six and on two 30-40. I am sure a complete rebuild is in order. Heads look good, block has no rust, but it did lock up. But I got it freed up. and cleaned it up
real nice. "ordered a rebuild kit for a genVI" everything included. I don't feel that the block has to be honed!! It looks good to me! But that is coming from a guys that already had it apart ha ha. won't do that again."

Do it right the first time. T

Do it right the first time. Take the block and heads to a reputable shop and have them checked for hairline cracks. They will also check them to see if the mating surfaces need milling. And check the cylinder bores for taper. Get the cam trued along w/the crankshaft.

"Yeah, you guys are right I wi

"Yeah, you guys are right I will have it checked as I don't want to do this but one more time. Thanks I will keep you guys posted."

Back