Logo

2007 50 hp BF50 Maintenance

neversummer

Regular Contributor
"Hi all,

I have a 2007 BF50 with very low hours. After break-in period I brought it to dealer for 20 hr maintenance and they changed oil filter, fuel filter, etc. I am probably at 50 hours now. I do my own oil changes, gear oil changes, and winterization. Is there any other annual maintenance that I need to be doing? Is the engine supposed to be seen by the dealer at like 100 or 200 hours?"

You can do alot of maintenance

You can do alot of maintenance yourself but every 2nd year take it in to a dealer and let them do it. They will pick up potential problems befor they cost you big dollars.

"For the most part, the motor&

"For the most part, the motor's are bullet proof...
Change the oil 2 or 3 times a year and lower unit
lube once a year.
Water pump impellor and thermostat should be checked periodically.
I just replaced the original impellor on a 1999
BF50 & it still looked fine."

The best advise i cn give is r

The best advise i cn give is replace the impeller every two years even if it looks good...they are cheap compared to a rebuild

"all manufacturers went to 100

"all manufacturers went to 100hrs or 1 year for impeller, but it says check

when i check i replace

then every 2 years i do the housing, unless you had an overheat"

"My dealer, who is very good,

"My dealer, who is very good, follows that same schedule - new impeller every 100 hours, new housing every 200 hours."

"Seems like overkill to me ???

"Seems like overkill to me ???
i don't want a failure due to overheating either,
but i put over 200 hours a year on my BF50
for the last 3 years and only done one impellor
change."

"Hi, new to this site and I po

"Hi, new to this site and I posted this once before...I thought. Don't know what I did wrong.
Anywho, I just wanted to add to this thread that one item of maintenence that is frequently overlooked is the anode in the cooling system. I've seen units operated exclusively in fresh water have these zincs almost completely corroded away after just three seasons. Also, in regard to changing out the impeller a wee bit too often, I relate it to insurance. Most of the time, insurance goes unused and unnoticed, but it's great to have when you need it. I view frequent impeller, thermostat and spark plug changes as cheap insurance."

"Bombardier E Tecs service sch

"Bombardier E Tecs service schedual is 3 years (I personaly dont agree with it) but they recon the water pump will last until then.

However every 12 months the leg should be dropped to check the water pump, most people we see dont do 100hrs a year"

Hi all just sticking my oar in

Hi all just sticking my oar in here
I change my impeller and housing every 2 years
Spark plugs every year.
All oils every 100 hours or so
both engines are now 11 years old no probs.

"Thanks for the comments. Does

"Thanks for the comments. Does time as well as use make the impeller go bad? I ask because I have had the engine only two years and since then put only 50 hours on. During winter, always stored in garage. I just changed the lower unit oil so I would really like to get another season out before taking to dealer to drop leg and change impeller. Think I am OK?"

I have a pair of Honda bf 50 e

I have a pair of Honda bf 50 engine's

Both 11 years old and have done 323 hours
even thought the hours are not a lot I still changed the impellers every two years

"As long as you have not had a

"As long as you have not had any over heating issues or run the motor dry,
you should be fine.
Assume it is still squirting water from the tell tale fine ?"

A quick and easy reference for

A quick and easy reference for changing the impellers i found is .

you tube type a search change outboard engine impellers.

Loads to see about how and what to do.

Back