Logo

TSB #56 does it apply to both fresh and salt water

bethron1

I have a 2005 BF225 S/N BAGJ-1

I have a 2005 BF225 S/N BAGJ-1301241. I have been told by a Honda dealer that TSB #56(exhaust manifold modification) only applies to salt water applications. Seems to me that water is water and fresh water can do just as much damage if injested. Will fresh water wipe out O2 sensors like salt water and require replacing annually like several are saying.

"It seems that O2 Sensors fail

"It seems that O2 Sensors fail more with salt water than with fresh water.

The Service Bulletin does not specifically address fresh or salt water. I have performed this for a couple of our customers in Ohio. I have not had to replace any a second time.

One part of the bulletin is to be sure that the engine height is such so that the exhaust relief is 5.9 inches or more above the water.

Unfortunately, your motor is out of warranty on March 31, 2008. The dealer can request for "Goodwill consideration"...but being that far out of warranty, it is not very likely you will get it.

If the serial number you provided is correct...the original owner (Rodger Bowers) purchased the motor on 4/1/2005."

"You can email me at [url=""]w

"You can email me at [email protected] and I will send you a copy of TSB #56, so you can read it yourself. It does not address any difference between saltwater and fresh water."

"Mike;
OK then, if I'm re

"Mike;
OK then, if I'm reading this correctly, you have done TSB #56 on freshwater units that had bad O2 sensors because of water injestion, did TSB #56, installed new O2 sensors and now all is good.

FYI; this unit is on a tritoon that hangs pretty heavy in the water while sitting still.
What determines if this TSB should even be done
(aside from the 5.9 " about the waterline) or just ignore it and hope it doesn't eat water with the engine turned off.

I just purchased the boat so for all practical purposed the original owner still shows up as the owner. I told him it's easier for him to get it fixed as the original owner than it is for me as the 2nd owner. You are correct and I'm hoping Mr. Bowers can get a "Goodwill Consideration" from Honda.
BTW; where can I get O2 sensors cheap or Honda parts for that matter.
Thanks Mike"

"TSB applied since the check e

"TSB applied since the check engine light and audible sounded on certain occasions. The TSB not only changes out the O2 sensor but also the exhaust pipes and oil pan gasket. When we did that...no more problems.

As far as I know, the water is sucked in while it is running. Just getting hit by a wave while it is sitting at the dock not running, may or may not cause a problem. If you can not raise the motor, at least tilt the motor up some and do not run it tilted all the way down.

If there was still warranty on the motor, the warranty would follow the motor. You can register yourself as the current owner on the Honda-Marine web site at no charge.

The O2 Sensor runs about $200.00. You can probably find one iboats or Ebay a little cheaper."

"Mike... Sorry to butt in on t

"Mike... Sorry to butt in on the post. I purchased a 2007 BF90 serial BBBL4803140. Supposed to be under warranty until June 2012. The honda dealer close to me says that I should have received a card in the mail on the transfer. I never did...so I went online and changed the registration, but never received a confirmation from honda. Is it possible you can check to see if change was done. I would appreciate it. (Robert (Bob) Baker)"

Back