Logo

Engine removal

surveyor

"Hello everyone,
I am new to

"Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum,I accidentally ran across this website and I am so glad I did.I have a Mercruiser engine that I have to remove from a 21' Chapparal,it has freeze damage. I have two sons that are willing to help and we are all mechanically inclined,just never worked on a marine engine before but I think that with a little pre-planning,we can pull this off,this is all an effort to save a few dollars since they are hard to come by these days.

1.Does the transom have to be removed to remove the engine?
2.What is the best route to take on another engine?"

"Remove the drive first, then

"Remove the drive first, then the 2 (3/4 bolts)from the rear mount, the front lags, all associated wiring, cooling hoses ,cable, etc and lift straight up and out.This is assuming it`s a merc drive.You dont mention what your working on."

"Also do have a service manual

"Also do have a service manual to help you guy's out??? if not you will need one.

Mercuiser dealers have a grate engine repower program to offer at really good deals veres buying new, In some cases you could save around half off getting a remanufactured engine, And trust me when they build them they build them almost better then new, And they use a varry hi percentage of new parts while they are rebuilding the engines or drives.Just something to keep in mind is all.
http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,31112&_dad=portal&_schema= PORTAL"

"Or you could save yourself a

"Or you could save yourself a ton of money and buy a rebuilt long block from the many rebuilders around the country and most come with some kind of warranty. Here is an example of one in the PNW

http://usengine.us/mercruiser.html

While you have the block out you can take the exhaust manifolds and risers out and have them tested and inspected. If in doubt replace them."

"Charles, last month we pulled

"Charles, last month we pulled my 350 out of my boat. We did exactly as Bt Doctur said except since my boat is in the water we pulled front then up on the motor. Be carefull with the 4 lags on the front motor mounts because you can strip them easily. (don't try to take the nut off the bolts because you must lift up on the front of the engine inorder to slide it front unless you do take the outdrive off). The spline in the rear holds engine down. Also, the other men are correct in that you save money doing a rebuilt long engine in total. I dropped about $1100.00 total and that was just in a starter/solenoid, oil pump, fuel pump, gaskets, etc. Good luck, Bob"

"Bob, good luck in replacing t

"Bob, good luck in replacing the coupler shortly.You need to remove the drive and atleast check the alignment.
The rear transom housing that is bolted to the transom carries the weight of the engine. the spline only slides into the coupler"

"Hello Bt Doctur, Boat Tech, P

"Hello Bt Doctur, Boat Tech, PugetSounder and Bob Griest, I want to thank all of you guys for the advice on the engine removal you have given me thus far,the resources here are worth their weight in gold,thanks much.The engine that I am going to remove only had 82 hours on it,I am hoping that I can salvage most of the parts.

Charles"

"Frankly there isn't much

"Frankly there isn't much you can do about freeze damage even if there is no hours on the engine. Unless you're motivated and have the capacity(time, space, tools, knowledge, etc) to do a complete rebuild yourself starting with a new block, it might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a rebuilt long block with warranty. It just depends on whether you want to work on a boat or enjoy boating!"

"It just depends on whethe

"It just depends on whether you want to work on a boat or enjoy boating!"

Well said.I prefer boating and all the enjoyment that goes with it.

I've done both and I don&#

I've done both and I don't mind the maintenance part of working on a boat but I like to think that that is part of the trouble free boating to be enjoyed. My first boat was a 'fixer' and I never did enjoy that boat. Couldn't trust it to go more than a nautical mile from the launch!

I hate that don't go farth

I hate that don't go farther than you feel like rowing that day feeling. or my arms are tired and were out of beer feeling.

Back