Logo

1998 Mercury 200 HP cold rev at start

sbklf

Contributing Member
"I ran this motor at idle for

"I ran this motor at idle for about 10 seconds for the first time in three years. The next day I wanted to do a cold compression test but rather than spinning it dry, I thought I would squirt mixed gas in the carbs to lubricate the bearings before pulling the plugs. I have the motor off the boat and on a stand and only connected the starter. Well, it started and rapped out for as long as it took the fuel to burn and stopped (about 5 seconds). The plan was to squirt fuel in the intake and then spin it and squirt more while it was spinning, not to start it, that was loud, I think I woke the neighbors. I know better, I was just anxious and did not pull the plug wires.

My question is if you think I damaged anything by rapping it cold for that long? I think (I hope) there was a little lubrication left on the bearings from the brief start up the previous day but not sure.

Thanks, Kevin"

What should I look for to dete

What should I look for to determine if I damaged anything? What are the odds I damaged it?

Kevin you can do a compression

Kevin you can do a compression test without having to spray fuel\oil into the carbies especially as you ran it the day befor...there will be oil and fuel still inside the engine.

The motor reved up for 5 secs!!! no problem!!!

Back