Logo

Distributor problems

mikey43

Regular Contributor
"i have a problem with the dis

"i have a problem with the distributor on a gm motor. v-8 350 thunderbolt 5 #805185 no fire. a buddy put new heads on it would not fire. he took a dist out of a 69 350 with points in it,started right up idle up fine. he said take to boat mechanic did some test on it, they called,and said ignition module was out a new one was a mint said i would wait till spring!! help."

The ignition module for a BOAT

The ignition module for a BOAT is not the SAME as a car/truck.. IF the SHIFT Interupt wires are hooked up backwords on the grounding terminal on the shift bracket it will not spark(experience). There are small wires in the dist for the trigger they can break and the trigger can get corroded.. it will not spark. DO NOT use an AUTO dist as Marine do not use Vacuum advance and it's not protected from creating an explosion.. (will ruin your day) Look at purchasing a Sierra Replacement part or think about a used one.

"Strange. All the ignition mod

"Strange. All the ignition modules we have used in our boats appear to be the same as the automotive ones. I was not referring to total distributor, just the module, as that was Mike's question.
Bert"

"The thunderbotlt V has no par

"The thunderbotlt V has no parts in common with automotive........

334486.jpg
"

"[url=""]http://cgi.ebay.com/e

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-BBC-350-383-CHEVY-SUPER-65K-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6 500-R_W0QQitemZ330376536090QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories ?hash=item4cebf9e01a

One wire in one wire out.

And bye the way he had it running with a dist. and coil and he ripped it out why?

Above is a link 40 bucks, don't know how much for shipping, all under 100 bucks for sure delivered to your door.

And before someone posts, we tore one down next to a marine unit that costs 400 bucks + and was exactly the same, inside.

And yes i just went thru this exact problem same thunderbolt ign, system on a 5.0.

Solution is above in the link."

"Not usable!! But a great deal

"Not usable!! But a great deal!!

Not marine rated and it has vacuum advance.
That is a automotive replacement only!

The point ignition was used as a test only!!!

For one to use a automotive ignition voids any insurance or marina work.

No certifiede marina will work on a boat (legally) with automotive igniton, stater, altinator, etc.etc.

Guy has posted several times the trouble shooting proceedure.

If you cant afford to keep marine rated parts I would reccomend keeping that info to yourself so non mechanic types do not install the WRONG parts on there boats.

It is fine if you choose to do so but others on here may not know the difierence and could get in trouble.

What are the "exact same parts you refere to???

The ignition sensor, rotor/star wheel What?"

was a test to see running ur r

was a test to see running ur right test only!!! whould like to keep it marine friendly. it is the ignition modl that is with the knock sensor on the dist i will try getting the part# in couple days thanks everbody good info! you men are a lot of help here in texas

Back