Logo

Fuel filter on 454bs

On my 1986 Tollycraft the twin

On my 1986 Tollycraft the twin 454 crusaders have given me fits with flutter and stalling. It was suggested that I pull the bowl on the bottom of the Racor 500 series. (metal) I have found about an 1-inch of crud sitting in the bottom. Gaaah! The bowls look pitted and frankly the whole Racor looks tired. I would like to replace. What is recommended for Crusaders?

"you should have another fuel

"you should have another fuel filter mounted on the engine before the fuel pump, Crusader recommend to intall a water separator/fuel filter on your fuel line. (Racor)"

"any of the spin on filters th

"any of the spin on filters that will flow 30 GPH should be fine. Racors are nice but are expensive. 10 micron is adequate for the element.

If you have accumulated a lot of crude because the bowls haven't been off in a long time, the replacements should provide adequate service. If the crud has just set in, get some spare elements for the new ones as you'll need a few changes in the spring."

"Just a brief addition. We car

"Just a brief addition. We carry a bunch of spare elements on board and when we went to change them one day we found the metal bowl SOLIDLY attached to the element can. It was UN MOVEABLE with tools we had on the boat. We could remove the element from the main mount but the rest HAD to wait until I took it home and got it off.

I found you can buy extra bowls...which I now carry, JUST in case"

"It was UN MOVEABLE with t

"It was UN MOVEABLE with tools we had on the boat. "
I was on a dock in Bimini with exactly that issue. It took a chain wrench and that crummy adjustable stuffing box wrench to loosen. The stuffing box wrench has a little "hook" in one jaw that catches the rib on the cast metal piece.

"Me too! No way it was coming

"Me too! No way it was coming off, I destroyed both metal bowls in the process. I had to remove it from the boat and bring it home and put it in a vise. You need to be able to get these off easily, especially on the starboard engine because the access is tight.

I now carry an extra one along with a couple of filters."

?????? I have two fuel/water s

?????? I have two fuel/water separators on the boat. They are changed 1/2 way through the season and I have never had any problems removing the "cans".

I would assume that all you gentlemen dip your finger in motor oil and run a bead around the gasket on the bowl prior to screwing it on??

Not liking the horror stories

Not liking the horror stories on the spin offs. I don't mind getting the Turbine series which are a breeze to pop a filter in and out. I would like to have a see tru bowl...but the USCG does not allow this on inboard gas engines. So as part of maintenance then I should pull the metal bowl for inspection twice a year? Sound good?

"in my case, I'm dealing w

"in my case, I'm dealing with a new boat (new to me) so I don't know when they were last changed. I ran some oil around the seal so I don't expect this problem to happen to ME but carrying an extra can and filters is probably not a bad idea."

"I guess it depends on your bo

"I guess it depends on your boating season cause up here it only lasts about 6 months, max, and I check the filter about two times and change them once....1/2 way... through the "summer".

My main concern is water and it is easy to spot. Just hold the can with the filter in it and rotate the can slightly North, South, East and West....careful not to spill that expensive fuel..... If you have water in your fuel you will see a bubble moving in the bottom of your can.((The gas floats over the water bubble))Looks good???? Screw it back on.

Crud/dirt???..It's easy to see... I just believe in changing the filters 1/2 way thru the season each year as it is cheap insurance for an engine problem. Naturally I change them more often if I do see a problem...water-dirt..accumulating."

"I've been using these. T

"I've been using these. They offer a drain plug for the water. It's the metal bowl that likes to stay really well attached!

334514.gif
filter

"<font color=""ff0000"">I'

"<font color=""ff0000"">I've been using these. They offer a drain plug for the water. It's the metal bowl that likes to stay really well attached!</font>

<font color=""000000"">Hmmmm well OK...... They look good but I prefer the "spin on and spin off" just like an oil filter..personal preference I guess</font>
wink.gif
"

"Good, safe practise is to put

"Good, safe practise is to put a coarse (30 micron) strainer/ separator before the fuel pump and a fine filter (10 micron) after the pump. THe first protects the pump; the second protects the carb.

Jeff"

"With the drain plug, you can

"With the drain plug, you can drain the water and continue the use of the filter and when that bowl sticks, it leaves you with a problem as you might replace the filter but without the bowl you are outta luck. I have the spin on fuel filter type on the other boat...I was going to change it to the type Dave shows but, that has not happened"

"<font color=""ff0000"">Good,

"<font color=""ff0000"">Good, safe practise is to put a coarse (30 micron) strainer/ separator before the fuel pump and a fine filter (10 micron) after the pump.</font>

Personal preference, but I don't think there is a <u>safety</u> factor there, perhaps personal prudence . One filter should suffice..... unless you guys are getting really screwy gas down there....
lol.gif

Up here,
snow.gif
the quality of the gas is not a problem."

"..."Up here,the quality o

"..."Up here,the quality of the gas is not a problem."

Lucky you! The Enviro-Fascists down here have mandated 10% ethanol in our gas, and it has caused all kinds of problems.

That said, all it takes is one tank of cruddy gas--and you can get it anywhere!--to plug a fine filter that's located before a fuel pump. First comes gas starvation, followed by a lean out and burnt pistons.

Jeff"

"Phooey......just found this .

"Phooey......just found this ...<font color=""ff0000"">In Canada, the federal government's target of 5% ethanol content in gasoline by 2010 will only reduce GHG emissions by 0.2%.</font>

<font color=""000000"">Looks like we are slowly moving in the US direction.....I'll let you know the effect on the fuel systems when we start adding ethanol
angry.gif
</font>"

"Only 5 %? Boy, are you lucky

"Only 5 %? Boy, are you lucky! The Federal morons are trying to stuff 20 % down our troats.

Jeff"

Back