Logo

Honda bf35 no spark please help

maxx8890

"I'M working on a honda bf

"I'M working on a honda bf 35 i beleive it's a 1997 carburated. it got really hot on the water once, came home replaced the impeller obvious problem(destroyed) put the foot back on ran excellent at high rpm pissin water. noticed it was not running right at low rpm cutting out stalling rough idle, so i pulled the carbs off cleaned them up they weren't to bad. then i put the back on the motor and out of the blue i have absolutly no spark!! i checked the kill switch nuetral safty switch, the green oil light is coming on when cranking... please help i check all wiring seems to be good any suggestions??????"

"Not sure how you are checking

"Not sure how you are checking spark... The spark on the 35 is very small. Standard spark checkers do not always work. Sometimes the easiest was to check spark is to use a timing light on one of the plug wires.

On the port side of the engine just below the junction block that has a black plasic cover, there should be a two pin connector that has a black and a black/red lead. That is the kill switch connector. That takes the kill switch out of the circuit. Disconnect it and then check for spark.

It may be possible that if the motor got really hot, it may have melted the black/red wire insulation just enough to almost short to the block. It may have finally made contact.

Or...you may really have spark but something did not go back on correctly with the carbs."

Back