Logo

Shaft stuffing box

millrock

"I have a 1988 trojan 11 meter

"I have a 1988 trojan 11 meter with as i call them drive showers,a hose running from the raw water side to the shaft bellows as well as a packing gland with no jam nut but secured in position by cotter keys forcing me to go to the next cotter key position when i tighten it. Im trying the gtu gore packing material which claims you can tighten to a no drip position without shaft damage. Does any one have this sort of setup on the shaft cooling and experience with the gtu packing.Thanks for your input"

phil:

no experience with GT

phil:

no experience with GTU but have used GFO. I'mm not quite at the 'no drip' spot but close. I'd say is takes about two mminutes for a drip last time I checked.

Not sure I've ever seen the setup you described. I've seen the cooling hose and a bellows but that was the PSS style 'dripless' system that doesn't use any standard packing. There adjustment uses a collar clamped to the shaft.

makomark: thanks for your impu

makomark: thanks for your imput. I agree i had not seen a system such as this nor had the mechanic at the marina. I dont know if this was suppose to be the begining of the dripless system or what. I think according to the ads that the GTU and the GFO are the same product they are suppose to direct the heat away from the shaft I guess Ill have to keep an eye on it in the spring because of the cotter key keeper design I either have a leak Im not happy with or am just past the little or no leak position Im hoping that the cooling hose comes into play in that regard.

"The water flow from the cooli

"The water flow from the cooling system should help dissipate any heat. I doubt it was a dripless conversion aborted. I'd be inclined to spend the money on some real stuffing boxes, especially if you are hauled now.

Knowing Gore, GTU and GFO are different, in some aspect. The GFO has graphite and teflon to reduce the friction so minimal heat is generated.

Can you post a picture of the bellow-cotter key arrangement?"

makomark; I think that stuffi

makomark; I think that stuffing box with cooling line was a factory install I just havent come across one before. Ill be on the boat this weekend and Ill take some pictures will post then nest week.

Back