Logo

HONDA 50 BUSTED LOWER UNIT

konagoldtoo

"WHEN I WAS RUNNING AROUND 300

"WHEN I WAS RUNNING AROUND 3000RPM MY LOWER UNIT CLUNKED/PUKED AND STOPPED FORWARD MOTION. ALL KINDS OF NOISE WAS HEARD IN THE LOWER UNIT. THE MOTOR STARTS AND RUNS FINE. WITH THE MOTOR SHUT OFF, I SPIN THE PROP AND HEAR GRINDING IN LOWER UNIT. IS ALL THE LOWER UNITS THE SAME IN DESIGN? WILL A LONG SHAFT LOWER UNIT FIT A SHORT SHAFT OR VICE VERSA? ALSO ANY TIPS OR IDEAS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PLEASE HELP THIS BUDGET BASED FISHERMAN."

"Mate from what i understand i

"Mate from what i understand if you are keeping it a short shaft, the lower unit (gearbox and prop houseing) will fit fine. You do need to change over the drive shaft and the water pump pipe, but you already have those. From what I know (and I dont know much) the long shaft is made up with an extra spacer, and longer other bits...

No the unit isnt a total waste, someone will either have a used unit or will be able to pull the box apart and sort it out...

Did you check there is oil and stuff in it? or that you issnt srop the drive shaft?

Good luck and let us know how it goes hey (but stop shouting)"

"Hi Rodney,
In my experience,

"Hi Rodney,
In my experience, if you broke the vertical shaft then that means that the lower end was dragging, binding, or hit something. Have you pulled the prop shaft holder and looked at the gears and clutch? My bet is that there is a lot of damage in there. If there is, it ain't gonna be cheap to fix. Honda sell a complete transmission with new vertical shaft, shift rod and water pump complete but for that motor it will probably be well over $1000. The problem with repairing it is that the individual parts, gears, bearings shaft and what other stuff is damaged ie: example- the prop shaft alone for that motor is around $400. And, it is not really a job for a weekend warrior mechanic to tackle. You can just bolt on the replacement housing yourself. Only other option is to find a used one someplace.
Good luck."

thank you everyone. located a

thank you everyone. located a long shaft lower unit used on craigslist. should be in hand on Wednesday.it might have an issue with water in the lower unit? maybe a quick repair?gaskets/seals?

"There are three ways water ca

"There are three ways water can enter the gearcase.
Prop shaft seal, mainshaft seal under waterpump and shift rod seal. None of which are all that easy to change without the proper tools and experience. Not a quick, easy fix. Also, I would bet a dollar or two that water entry displacing gear oil in your old unit had a lot to do with that failure. Be careful and be sure before running the replacement."

Back