Logo

Bellows inquiry Running engine on tralier

bayliner_02

"Gents,
My inquiries are simi

"Gents,
My inquiries are similar to walts and guy before him. i have two questions/querries
1) We have recently been stripping engine and rebuilding her. to check if we had rebuilt her correctly we started boat while it was sitting on tralier and ran it for about 10-20sec just to see if it would run. we did this on a number of ocasions. I realise it is bad practice to start engine while out of the water. What damage am i doing to it by starting while not in water if it is only running for a very short period of time?
2)What is the function of the bellows? I have noticed recently that there is a split about 10mm (about half an inch for the uneducated!!)along mine. The split runs along the bellows and is approx 50mm (2inches) from the end
apologies if these are amateur questions but i am an amateur boater!
Thanks"

exhaust billows no big deal al

exhaust billows no big deal always in water u joint bellow has to be changed now before you go back in the water.

You have the drive on when your starting it with no water going to the drive then the impeller is toast.

"1. Are you running the engine

"1. Are you running the engine with or without water, and with or without the outdrive ? If with out the outdrive and without water, You WILL melt the exhaust Flappers in the exhaust tube(s) and possibly melt the Riser to exhaust tube rubber connectors(forget the name at the moment)
and if you have an Engine mounted Water Impeller it is now Destroyed.

If you are running the engine without water and WITH the outdrive your Water Impeller is now Destroyed.

2. There are "2" Bellows from the engine to the outdrive, the UPPER one or U-JOINT Bellows Seals out water from the U-joints and keeps it from coming into the boat. The LOWER or Exhaust Bellows ONLY funtions to help exhaust and water to exit to the outdrive and out the prop.. SOME Exhaust Bellows ( GEN II and OMC Cobra have SLITs on the bottom of each ridge, this lets exhaust exit sooner.

If there are ANY crackes or splits in the UPPER Bellows, REPLACE or you can SINK the boat and will RUST the U-joints and the Gimbal Bearing and Cause Failure and you WILL be Stranded. and do more can damage the engine Coupler (peice that the drive shaft goes into to provide power to the outdrive).

Buy or Download a MANUAL.. there are LINKs on this website to manuals, you should have at least a DSL or CABLE internet connection to download as they are LARGE.. Someone may also put on a CD/DVD for you and send to you."

Back