Logo

When to change bellows

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi Guys,

I was talking to

"Hi Guys,

I was talking to a friend of mine today.They are having their boat winterized at a marina. The tech there said that the bellows were due for changing. The boat is a Bayliner with a 4 cylinder. It is seven years old.My question is,does the bellows need to be changed ever so often or only when showing signs of wear.Thanks for your help."

"7-years old...I think it is t

"7-years old...I think it is time. Better now than when you realize you have a problem. Yes, ever so often, these do need to be replaced.

You should be able to look at them from the outdrive, and see weathered looking spyder cracks like dry-rotted tires, other times you won't notice this. With one of the bellow leaking, you will not only take on water unexpectedly, but gradually cause corrosion on internal linkages for your shift cable(s).

I put about 200-hrs a year on my '00 Bayliner boat and had them replaced 3-years ago."

"5 to 10 years depending on wa

"5 to 10 years depending on water enviroment.

If moored it will shorten its life, if it is trailered it will last longer.

Mine went 13 years or more but it was only fresh water and 8 years of it was trailered only."

"If water leaks into the upper

"If water leaks into the upper bellows, it will rust the U-joints and Gimbal Bearing.. If replacing the Bellows, I suggest going for the complete bellows, gimbal and water hose kit, even changing the lower shift cable(unless it's been recently changed).

It's Best time to do it.."

"[b]"When to change bellow

""When to change bellows?"

Ayuh,... Just Before it starts Leakin'...

Mine's on borrowed time,+ will get a Full transom kit as noted by Brian before spring launch..."

Back