Logo

Flywheel for 1980 470 Merc

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"First off, let me say, "w

"First off, let me say, "what's up fellas"? Haven't been on here in a while.(boats been running like a champ) Well went out fishing the other day, and got the dreaded zinggg sound, when i went to start it. pulled starter, and had local guy check it out. While i had it out, i noticed some of the teeth on the flywheel were half gone. The more i turned the motor over, the worst they looked. My question is: does anybody know, where i can find a good used flywheel? Or better yet, just the ring gear?"

"got a ring gear for a 351 for

"got a ring gear for a 351 for a ski boat (master craft) ended up being a 67' mustang and/or truck engine one.. I also used the part number on the flywheel to help locate info, simply googleing the part number and doing a little reading helped me cross it over, along with counting the teeth. Removal was easy with MAP Gas, support the flywheel on a 5g Bucket, heat up all the way around.. dropped right off.. let the flywheel cool ( or cool it).. flip over, heat up the new ring with good welding gloves and drop it on. I never did one before but if you're comfortable with a torch, it's easy. the pain is the removing engine part."

Back