Logo

Moving my boat

briang0

Regular Contributor
"The trailer on my 25'CC h

"The trailer on my 25'CC has a broken axle I have to transfer the boat from the broken trailer to the good one. I have never done anything like this. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this. The boat weights in at a little under 5,000lbs. I called a crane company and they gave me an estimate of 475.00. Any advice should I try it myself or just pay the price."

What do you consider "brok

What do you consider "broken axle"? Is the axle snapped in two or are the bearings shot?

You can unload the boat on the

You can unload the boat on the ground (blocks) then winch it back onto the new trailer.

"If the ground isn't hard,

"If the ground isn't hard, you can just unload it onto the dirt. wood blocks will help keep it level.

We've always found it easier to winch the trailer back under the boat, as long as the boat has solid contact with the ground. Once you get enough of the boat on top of the trailer, you can set the brakes and finish up in a more conventional manner.

After the boat is sitting on the new trailer, finish setting up the trailer to the boat BEFORE you move it any significant distance at any highway speed. Don't forget to check for proper tongue weight. It is no fun going down the highway watching the trailer swaying or worse."

I've seen boats on trailer

I've seen boats on trailers on flatbeds. I can only guess it's a common issue. May want to see what a towing company can do to get it to the marina where they can A) Get you in the water or B) put you right on the new trailer.

The axle is really bent it was

The axle is really bent it was so rusty it just gave up. There are tw0 axles but with the weight of the boat on 3 wheel it won't move. I have boat stands but the boat does not have a eye on the bow to hook the wench to. I could install one. It would be great if there was something I could read or watch that would get me familiar with how to get the boat off the old trailer and then on the new one. It's getting cold here so I either wrap it up until spring or do it now.

"Hi Brian..
I have a few frie

"Hi Brian..
I have a few friends that still fly. You could rent this rig for the move...but a few more penny's than a crane.
lol.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyhow...good luck and I would suggest the "eye" routine and winch it on a new trailer.....seen it done many times..Good luck.

334314.jpg
"

Back