Logo

Pulling the gimble bearing

watertite

"I need to replace the gimble

"I need to replace the gimble bearing on a 87 alpha 1 drive. The problem is I cannot find a slide hammer anywhere. Auto zone no longer has them for sale or rent,and the same with VIP. I have even tried local garages with no luck. Will the cheap $50 ones that Harbor frieght or JC Whitney have be rugged enought to do the job? Thanks Ernie."

"Ayuh,... In a pinch,...
A pi

"Ayuh,... In a pinch,...
A piece of threaded rod, say 1/2" or 3/8", a few washers of the right size,+ a sledgehammer head will do.."

"I took a 2 1/2 foot piece of

"I took a 2 1/2 foot piece of 1/2 in threaded rod, put on 3 large washers with a nut on each side, a 4 lb block of steel for the hammer, put the edge of the washers to the inside edge of the bearing and pounded in several places around the inside of the bearing race to pull it out. Ain't goina happen! Local merc dealer wants $40 to pull the bearing only. For $10 more I can buy the JC Whitney slide hammer el-cheepo if it holds together. This has a very high suck factor. Ernie"

BT doctur had a pic up with ho

BT doctur had a pic up with home made puller.

We here use a sears puller that we made up a couple of curved arms and a piece of steel to pull against sort of a spanner.

"[IMG][url=""]http://i57.photo

"
url]

url]

url]
"

"Do the new bearings go in eas

"Do the new bearings go in easier than the old ones come out. I still have not been able to get this thing out. This weekend I going to travel to Augusta Maine,about an hour from home and spring for $100 at Sears for there sliding hammer and bearing puller. I tried a lite wt puller and broke the jaws. My own fault because it was made for pulling oil lite bushings. Not having fun right now,Ernie"

The new bearing goes in fairly

The new bearing goes in fairly easy but keep in mind it has to go in straight. If it gets turned to one side it will be difficult to straighten Back so you will need to pull it back out and install again straight.

Not too hard.

"If you want to drive to MASS

"If you want to drive to MASS I will let you borrow my tools.........BUT you have to bring them back.

Slide hammer with a ten pound slide and a custom made bearing driver, takes three wacks with a 3 lb sledge hammer. which I have also....

Might cost $40 or so in round trip fuel.

How close are you to Marlborough Ma."

"Thanks for the offer,thats re

"Thanks for the offer,thats really nice of you. I'm origionaly from Westminster mass. I quess I may as well crack the piggy bank because I will most likely need it again in the future anyways. I am really surprised how tight those bearings are in there, and am worried about breaking something else with all this banging like a housing or gimble ring. If that happened you would see the smoke all the way to Massachusettes. Thanke Ernie."

Back