Logo

Gear set question Alpha 1

pugetsounder

Advanced Contributor
Is the driven gear the same in

Is the driven gear the same in all the ratios and the drive gear different? I can't tell from the parts numbers because they sell them in sets. It looks fairly easy to replace the drive gear with a different ratio gear since I have to replace an oil seal in the drive yolk anyway. Not sure I want to get into the driven gear. The more you tinker in the drives the more "special" tools you need to put it back together. Anybody know for sure? Trying to replace a 1.98:1 with a 1.84:1. I have a donor upper unit from a 4.3L. Thanks.

Cant do it like that.The gear

Cant do it like that.The gear sets are matched.
Gear ratio`s are determined in the upper only so just swap uppers.

Sorry Bt doctor I'm confus

Sorry Bt doctor I'm confused. Your first sentence tells me I can't do it and the second sentence tells to go ahead and do it.

I was thinking just swapping the upper driven gear will be relatively easy. Just need to measure preload and clearance for proper shimming.

The UPPER GEAR CASE has two ge

The UPPER GEAR CASE has two gears.

The horizontal gear is the divr gear and the vertical gear under the drive gear is the driven.

The gear ratio is determined by the number of teeth on each gear.

They are "matched because of gear teeth brak in/wear. If you were to use a new gear with a used gear you could possible break a tooth or maybe it would be very noisy.

You CAN swap out a set of gears from one upper case to another but it would be advised to check gear clearences.

"(divr) = drive misssp

"(divr) = drive missspelled mess......<font face=""arial,helvetica""></font>"

Pugetsounder.

I amnot sure

Pugetsounder.

I amnot sure you have the correct tooling to do a gear swap.

Not to say it cant be done without checking anything as I know some who have done it and have had no issues.

There are several gear hieght/depths checks and the perload done with shims under the cap...........

Lots to know and do when setting up a upper.......not to mention the tools needed.....

"Yeah it's sounding pretty

"Yeah it's sounding pretty complicated. I may just see what Bt Doctor has to offer as far as a 1.84 drive leg. Then just sell my good 1.98 leg off my boat and see if anybody needs a so-so 1.84 upper for rebuilding. Shoulda just left well enough alone!

I get what bt doctor is saying the upper unit not the upper gear cog. That's what I'm in the middle of is replacing an upper unit with the correct ratio but it turns out to be in bad shape. Corrossion, rust and water in the u-joints, leaky drive bearing oil seal and who knows what shape the bearing is in without proper lubrication. Not worth putting into my boat. I thought I could just swap the gears easy enough but I guess not."

"I have a complete Alpha 1 1.8

"I have a complete Alpha 1 1.84r too.. no SW use as far as I know, it's PT'd Realed and Pro-rebuilt(not by me) with a new FULL impeller kit ready to grind... I mean GO.. !!! :)"

Sounds great. Why don't yo

Sounds great. Why don't you guys email me with your where abouts and how much you're asking. And also if you're willing to take my 1.98 drive (in very good condition also with new water pump) as part trade. I'm in Seattle. Thanks.

"not worth digging mine out in

"not worth digging mine out in this buyers market

Seattle might as well be the moon for shipping from here."

I'm in luck. I just had a

I'm in luck. I just had a guy here in Seattle email me back about a 470 outdrive with low hours and gone through by a mechanic for $600. It is a buyers market! I'll check it out in person this time. Ebay is good for some things but "clean and good working order" are pretty subjective on there. Thanks for the help!

Update: I got my outdrive. It&

Update: I got my outdrive. It's clean and in great shape. New seals and water pump and u joints. Even ccame with a prop. Can't wait for next spring.

I have a 1.98 outdrive in good condition on the west coast if anybody is interested.

Back