Logo

More steam after replacing elbow

rmm

Regular Contributor
"So 1988 454s FWC, 1300hrs- a

"So 1988 454s FWC, 1300hrs- a little background so can follow - bought boat 4 yrs ago and when bought replaced the risers and elbows, manifolds looked fine. Last year had overheating prob and at one point pulled elbow on one side to make sure wasnt blocked. Cleaned both surfaces and added new gasket and reinstalled, but was dripping slightly out of top side so then pulled again, cleaned both sides carefully, new gasket and permatex 2. Still same leaking. So this past weekend decided to replace the elbow and see what happens. Cleaned riser surface, and installed elbow with dry gasket. Ran motor at idle a while to warm and seat it, then ran at cruise speed and got slight dripping out of bottom side. Retightened bolts and dripping stopped. Ran boat for about 4 hrs running and trolling and no leaks, all seems good.

The only difference I noted was that now that side seems to steam more than the other, not a ton but a noticable amount, prior to replacement I believe were about even. All temps were good and even scanned with temp gun, temps on both sides matched. Any thoughts??? Why would replacing cause it to steam more?"

"Not sure. But steam levels g

"Not sure. But steam levels go up as raw water flow goes down. When was the raw water pump inspected last, including cam and cover condition?"

"I saw a lot more steaming lat

"I saw a lot more steaming late in the year. Colder weather causing increased condensing, I would suspect.

Jeff"

It's a fact that cold air

It's a fact that cold air won't hold as much moisture as warm air so an increase in "steam" when it cools off is expected.

Back